587,543 active members*
6,171 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Another Aussie Adventure in Laser Zero Finding
Page 2 of 7 1234
    here is the link for the one with crosshairs .http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5900 good luck with this one. shipping is a little slow so you need to be patient.
    greg

Here is a link to the one I got.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5942

Mine focuses to a fairly fine line.

However I think it might be a bit hit and miss whether you get one that does.

Can't expect too much for this sort of money.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greolt View Post
    Here is a link to the one I got.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5942

Mine focuses to a fairly fine line.

However I think it might be a bit hit and miss whether you get one that does.

Can't expect too much for this sort of money.

Greg

Yes exactly what i was looking for.

Thanks again, Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Glidergider View Post

1. Your laser power is from BOB. 5v? Is the laser volt requirement 5 v too, or did you need to drop the voltage with a resistor?

The laser is 3.2v and yes I put a resistor in series with it. Trial and error to get the right value.

If driving directly from the BOB you may need to check the specs of the board to see if it can handle it.

5mw is the laser rating not what it draws. Mine draws 19mw which is within my BOB specs.

EDIT: Wcarrothers has his powered with two AA batteries. Sounds to me like a very sensible simple way to do it. Batteries would last for years. Of course that means Mach can not turn it on and off.

2. Below you say two macros on the Shuttle. Is the second macro just a simple code Code "G90 M7"?

The G90 sets Mach back to absolute coordinates after doing the incremental move. So would not be needed in your example.

Because I use "Mist Coolant" commands to turn it on and off it can be M7 for on and M9 for off.

However OEM code 114 is "Mist Toggle" so I use that for on/off buttons. Both on screen and in the Shuttle.

Greg

everytime i go to check out it says my cart is empty when i click pay with paypal link, (not the express) and it shows it in the card and free shipping.

Heh Greolt do you have anymore pic of your machine??????? and that hold down did you build your on vacuum kit for the table...(nuts)

Quote Originally Posted by biotech1 View Post

Heh Greolt do you have anymore pic of your machine??????? and that hold down did you build your on vacuum kit for the table...
    Look at this thread about my vac hold down

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34537

Greg

Hi Greg,

I have ordered a crosshair laser and have my screen ready to go.
    Thanks for the code on that.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

I also ordered a crosshair laser, from the supplier in China. Free shipping. It took about a week before I got notification that it was shipped. It'll take another week before it gets here by China mail. That's OK, I can wait.

Question for:
    Greg:
    Tell us how you mounted your laser. Since its parallel to the router, and not inline with the spindle, parallelism is absolutely required. Any deviation from parallel axis will induce errors in the offset distance between the laser and spindle?

In other words, different Z values of the Gantry will produce different offsets.
    Was it difficult to get them aligned parallel?
    Dave

Since its parallel to the router, and not inline with the spindle, parallelism is absolutely required. Any deviation from parallel axis will induce errors in the offset distance between the laser and spindle?

In other words, different Z values of the Gantry will produce different offsets.
    Was it difficult to get them aligned parallel?
    Dave
    I agree with what you are saying. I think if you set the laser in a holder with a small amount of adjustment possible you could focus on a spot on your table with Z axis at the top of it's travel, jog down to the lowest Z position and then allign it to half the deviation from the original spot. Do this a couple of times and you should be right.
    An alternative is to always use the crosshairs from the top position of the Z axis.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Making a holder out of a block of aluminum and mounting it square to the plate holding the router should be something most can do to avoide different focus locations depending on height of Z. I mean if you can't get your laser mount to be parallel and square relitive to your table then you probably screwed up the squareness of your router as well.. (assuming you made the mount for that your self also) hehe

But something to keep in mind. I just made a block of aluminum, put a hole in it a little bigger then the laser body and drilled/tapped a few set screws through the side to clamp the laser in and 2 drilled and taped holes in the back to bolt it to the plate my router is bolted to.

b.

Bada bing bada boom. My router mounting plate is somewhere in space, that's not square to the table. In fact I know it's not. I'm a DIY table guy. I should be able to figure something out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodm1954 View Post

I agree with what you are saying. I think if you set the laser in a holder with a small amount of adjustment possible you
    could focus on a spot on your table with Z axis at the top of it's travel, jog down to the lowest Z position and
    then allign it to half the deviation from the original spot. Do this a couple of times and you should be right.
    G'day all, just got back from a week away.

Rods suggestion is pretty much what I did and it worked out OK. I found most important was the slop in the lens thread.

Also what Wcarrothers said is another way to go.

It must be remembered that this setup is NOT high precision. I think in the order of 0.2mm or 0.01" is a reasonable expectation.

Although a high precision laser could be better. Like this one http://www.lasercenteredgefinder.com/

However for a paltry $5, I reckon it's great.

Greg

something ive been wondering is on your setup roughly how wide the beamed lines are , the one ive got is roughly .075" wide , is this about what i should expect ?
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

I think I got lucky with the one I got. Mine is nice and fine line.

See this post http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=22

Greg

Greg, That is slicker than owl crap.
    When all is said and done, more is said than done.

I am having a real problem getting one from their site, when i go to check out with 3 in the cart (i also tried 1), and click paypal, it goes to another page and says cart is empty.

anyone want to buy some and sent to me?
    I will pay of course.

Joe

Joe,
    I'd be happy to order them for you. Confirm which item/s and quantity.

I purchased three different versions. Two crosses, and a pin hole. As mentioned earlier by others, the shipping takes a while.

I wanted to make sure I got a thin cross. From Greg's post, I think I ordered the good one too.

Quote Originally Posted by joecnc2006 View Post
    I am having a real problem getting one from their site, when i go to check out with 3 in the cart (i also tried 1), and click paypal, it goes to another page and says cart is empty.
    Joe it sounds like you may have cookies turned off. Turn them on and give it a go.

Turn them back off when you have finished if you want.

Greg

good point
    it could be your firewall as well
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Page 2 of 7 1234