587,702 active members*
3,405 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Welding Brazing Soldering Sealing > Bernzomatic Mapp/Oxy set useful for anything?

Hybrid View

I've had one of these for a number of years and it works fine for its size and my applications.

In the next building I've got access to mig/tig/gas etc. but it's setup for bigger jobs.
    When I need something small (usually brazed) then using my Bernzomatic is quick and convenient.

A couple of caveats:

1. It is a small torch, intended for small items.

2. The oxygen does not last long (at most 30min) and is rather expensive (about $8/bottle). Bottles are NOT made for refilling.

3. There are no pressure gauges so its a guess if you have enough for a particular job prior to beginning it.

I usually use it for silver brazing or regular brazing - works good.

You could weld small steel parts using small diameter rod but it would be tricky.

It seems to be primarily more of a "high temp" propane torch for small jobs

If you are going to use it to learn to weld I suggest you get a unit with refillable, and much larger bottles, because you'll spend alot of time trying to perfect your skills.
    Lottsa gas=lottsa bottles=lottsa $$

hth,
    Pres

Here is my suggestion, buy yourself a cheap $100 dollar torch off of ebay. While you’re on ebay, buy some small MC tanks. You'll be out about $250 bucks, but you'll be glad you did spend a little more because you'll spend it anyway buying all those $8 bottles of oxygen with the other.