587,862 active members*
3,386 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Well, I surely like the sounds of a SMTC on a SMM sized machine!!

Geof, I have a technical question for you. I have been going over the stats on the Mini and the Super Mini. The extra RPM is a big bonus, I know. My concern is that the Mini weighs in at 33 ft-lb@1200 RPM and the Super weighs in at 17 ft-lbs@4600 RPM. Since you have both, I thought I would ask you. Even though the Super has 2 times the HP have you noticed anything you can run at the lower end of the rpm range on the Mini that you cannot on the Super?

I only ask because I tend to run a wide variety of materials through our Mini and in doing so, tend to use the entire RPM range from tapping 1/2-13 holes in steel to 1/32 end mills in brass. I guess what I am saying is, it would be nice to have the higher rpm range. But am I not going to be able to run a 1/2 inch tap in steel anymore to gain the higher rpm? BTW, I do realize that I could threadmill that, but I'm sure I don't have to tell you about engineers and their wonderful abilities at wanting thread engagements of 4X+.

To the other person who mentioned getting a top for the Mini, I just wonder why? I have been running ours for the last 2 years, using the high volume coolant pump, and haven't had any problems with over-spray out the top. Lots of evaporation for sure, but nobody getting doused with chips or coolant.

Gizmo

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo_454 View Post
    ....Geof, I have a technical question for you. I have been going over the stats on the Mini and the Super Mini. The extra RPM is a big bonus, I know. My concern is that the Mini weighs in at 33 ft-lb@1200 RPM and the Super weighs in at 17 ft-lbs@4600 RPM. Since you have both, I thought I would ask you. Even though the Super has 2 times the HP have you noticed anything you can run at the lower end of the rpm range on the Mini that you cannot on the Super?.....Gizmo
    That is a good question................................and all the dots mean I don't have an answer.

I have to be honest, I never looked up the torque specifications so I have never been motivated to do any experimenting.

Most of the time we are machining 6061 and I do know that if I take a program that has a cut at 10000rpm and 100ipm on the Super, if I move it to the Mini it will not handle the same cut at 6000rpm and 60ipm; it is necessary to drop the feed to something like 40ipm or so.

But I have never looked at the lower end performance.

Regarding tapping I have run 1/2"-13 on the Super at 1000rpm but I peck tap in 0.15" steps so maybe I am cheating. But it does it fine in C12L14 or C1018. I mentioned someplace that I have only bogged it down trying to tap 3/8" NPT. The spindle and the feed both stopped and I hit E stop before it alarmed.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

"To the other person who mentioned getting a top for the Mini, I just wonder why? I have been running ours for the last 2 years, using the high volume coolant pump, and haven't had any problems with over-spray out the top. Lots of evaporation for sure, but nobody getting doused with chips or coolant."

I made my top out of 1/4" plastic stock used the bolt holes for the Haas top. Cost about $25.00 & about an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Regarding tapping I have run 1/2"-13 on the Super at 1000rpm but I peck tap in 0.15" steps so maybe I am cheating.
    Please excuse my ignorance but how do you do this? Does it require the spindle orientation option?

Quote Originally Posted by katiebo View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance but how do you do this? Does it require the spindle orientation option?
    You need Rigid Tapping and I think this comes standard with the Super.

This very accurately synchronises the spindle rotation and the Z position so you do not use floating tap holders and the machine can re-enter the thread.

Thanks Geof. I kind of assumed that the rigid tapping option was needed but for whatever reason also thought that the spindle orientation option was also needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    You need Rigid Tapping and I think this comes standard with the Super.

This very accurately synchronises the spindle rotation and the Z position so you do not use floating tap holders and the machine can re-enter the thread.
    You can only peck tap if the REP Rigid tap is turned on...

One more thing I learned the hard way.
    On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

Quote Originally Posted by DSL PWR View Post
    You can only peck tap if the REP Rigid tap is turned on...

One more thing I learned the hard way.
    You can Peck, but you sure don't tap. That one I found the hard way also.

Page 2 of 2 12