588,687 active members*
5,840 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Gecko Voltage Question

Gecko Voltage Question

Ok.... a dumb one...

The Gecko 201 needs 5 volts to power it... at what Amps ???

I cant find that spec anywhere ( I dont have them in front of me)

I am trying to order my power supply today so thats why I need the info....

Thanks

Tom M

I would think 1 AMP would be enough.

The Gecko drives circuit will need a 5 VDC 500 MA wall wart. You can get these from Radio shack or other stores with electronics.

Or you can get the Axxus interface board and use a 12 VDC wall wart to power the interface card. This card has a 5 VDC output to power the drive as well it produces the 5 volt to power your limit/home switches and has 12 VDC to power relays for I/O use.
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Tom,

The +5VDC is the "return line" for the STEP and DIRECTION inputs. The way it works is current (16mA) flows from your PC +5VDC thru the STEP opto LED, back to your parallel which completes the path when your STEP output goes low. Same goes for DIRECTION.

The +5VDC doesn't power anything in the drive.

Mariss Freimanis
    Geckodrive Inc.

This has got me confused as well. I am measuring the voltage coming from the ps2 mouse port and there is no volts on any pin.
    The only perfect voltage I have been able to get is from a spare disk drive cable in my desk top.

So you are saying that a standard 5 volt power supply plug from radio shack will supply the correct volts? Am I connecting the hot or the ground to the common? Hot right?

Basically, all the 5vdc is used for, is to provide power for the signal for the Gecko drives to work. Which is according to Mariss, is only 16mA.

You should still connect ground (or 0V) to the common. Mariss comment about the 5v line being the return, is because current actually flows from the lower voltage to the higher one. (Think of a battery with + & - terminals. The battery looses current from the - terminal and gets it back at the + terminal). This doesn't normally concern the average person, but for the people designing circuits (ie mariss) it is a basic fact.

Moray

Ok being limited in my electronics knowledge, how do I test if I have the proper volts return.
    What I mean is. when using a multimeter to find the voltage I set my meter on dc volts and I use the red probe on my laptops mouse port and I put the black probe where?

I know that the USB port, PS2 mouse port puts out the required voltage, which is more reccomended to use.

This link has all the computer connector details that you need.
    http://www.hardwarebook.net/

Personally I'd be more inclined to use the USB, as if you try drawing too much power, they are protected, whereas I'm not sure if PS2 ports have the same protection.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeCNC
    The Gecko drives circuit will need a 5 VDC 500 MA wall wart. *snip*
    A 500 mega-ampere (MA) wall wart will be difficult to get by

Try a 500 milli-amp (mA) one instead.

It's important to get those prefixes right...

Arvid

I'd just use that spare disk drive +5V in your computer . Feed it out and into your daisy linked Geckos. Correct me if wrong.... but works for me...

You can also pull that 5+Voltrs DC off a usb cable. If you only need .5Amps, thats a good source -- and you may have it without breaking into the case!
    BTW Tom - Sorry I haven't YET made it to Jacksonville -- but I haven't given up yet.
    Cheers - Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.