588,616 active members*
4,698 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Sign making software?

I found out that the VCarve software costs $600. Mach3 software costs $160. At the woodworking shop at the program for mentally handicapped people, we make different kinds of signs for customers. We make four kinds of signs:
    1. Cut out each letter or number, and glue them to base or board.
    2. Cut out spaces between letters/numbers on a piece of board. The letters/numbers are held by the frame at the top and bottom.
    3. Cut out letters/numbers on a piece of board that are held to the stripe at the bottom.
    4. Crave letters/numbers on a piece of board.

Are you asking If it is possible for Vcarve to do the 4 things in your list?

If so, yes Vcarve will cut everything in your list & way more.

Every DXF file in my Blog was created with Vcarve Pro.

------------------------------------------------------------------

If your asking If both do the same things, then the answer is no.

Mach3 = CNC Machine Control

Vcarve Pro = Creates the toolpath to run on the cnc control (Mach3, etc...).

Free DXF - vectorink.com

I don't know who'll pay for the VCarve software. I thought that there's either freeware or low-cost sign-making software

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmorris View Post
    I don't know who'll pay for the VCarve software. I thought that there's either freeware or low-cost sign-making software

Hi there,

There are some FREE options to create gcode for carving and cutting letters etc... not specific to sign-making but you might have some success with them...

visit the website at the URL in my signature....

I would recommend that you plan on buying mach control software.. there are some free control applications.. but to be honest it's not worth the risk to your machine.. Mach software is a tried and tested solution...

Hope this helps

Danny
    What one man can do another man can do..
    BitMaps to Models, 3D2Relief, tutorials and FREE CNC Software http://cnc4free.org

I found out that LazyCam can create text but I had problems creating text in LazyCam and loading the file generated by LazyCam into Mach 3.

I found out that LazyCam can create text but I had problems creating text in LazyCam and loading the file generated by LazyCam into Mach 3.
    I don't really use LazyCam myself. Most people end up using the Mach part of the package to control their machine. Then look to generate the code to run in Mach using a wide range of either commercial or FREE software.

Which you use depends really on a few things. What you want to make, how quick you need to be able to make it, your level of experience, how much you have to spend and suchlike.

Your post asked about free software.. which is why I directed you to the website I made about FREE CNC software...You may find a solution.. you may not... depends on your own unique circumstances.

Danny..
    BitMaps to Models, 3D2Relief, tutorials and FREE CNC Software http://cnc4free.org

Danny, I checked out your website but I can't find info specific to sign making. I already have IntelliCAD program that's compatible with AutoCAD files but I can't convert text to polylines. I'm not sure if 3D Canvas can create 3D letters and numbers.

Smile Cut 2D

VCrave Pro is the best for cutting just about anything
    but the 2D Cut for $149 is not bad and you can started cutting rightaway
    When I started this hobby, I did not cut anything that would look good till I downloaded VCarve.
    Download 2D Cut demo and I think you will be cutting in about an hour if you have your CNC up and running This is the eazyest software I could find
    Works kind of like some photo software
    Click and Drag to make it bigger or smaller
    Mach 3 is the best to run your CNC just DO NOT waste your time or money with
    Lazy Cam
    Put your $75 into VCarve

I downloaded and ran the Cut2D demo. I went through a tutorial on creating a sign (nameplate for model locomotive) and I liked the program. My CNC machine isn't ready to use yet.

Danny, I checked out your website but I can't find info specific to sign making. I already have IntelliCAD program that's compatible with AutoCAD files but I can't convert text to polylines. I'm not sure if 3D Canvas can create 3D letters and numbers.
    Hi Jeff,

It's true.. I tend not to say use this for this... primarily because most of the utilities can be adapted a number of ways... perhaps it's something I should start... a list of uses for each tool....

whichever way you go I hope it works out..

ttfn

Danny

I think that Mach3 has a wizard for text engraving. Is this good or do I still need either Cut2D or V-Carve?

Mach3 and Lazy Cam

That would be Lazy Cam (in Mach 3), Dont waste your money or time
    They got me for $75 and it is hard as hell to work, VCarve is alot eazier.
    We need someone to wright a program
    Mix Mach3 and VCrave into one for one price
    But I dont think anyone could do that because they would corner the market
    and put everybody out of bussiness.
    But only if they could sell it for (lets see) say $199.95
    Maybe, to good to be true
    but still fun to wish

Trell

you may want to relook at Danny's website , gmax is a very powerfull software and with a little patience for the learning curve and a good imagination the sky is the limit with what can be done using the free softwares available , most signs would be simple to do ,
    the only catch is you need to be creative rather than using already created templates or such ,
    ive created models from bitmaps and such that even the likes of artcam couldnt touch
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Try CamBam

Try Cambam.

Advantage....FREE.

CamBam has an EXCELLANT text editor easy to manipulate text and graphics save as a .DXF file.... The text editor will use any font you have in your font folder. So many fonts so little time....

CamBam has an excellant user forum for support and good tutorials.

Did I mention free.... Plus CamBam can do pocketing, and some 2.5d stuff.

Before you buy give CamBam a try. I know after importing some DXF files and cutting some signs you will be glad you did.

Hope this helps.

If you are looking at sign making software and want to get quality work done quickly and at a resonable price I think VCarve Pro is the way to go.

There is a text engraving wizard in a Mach3 that has nothing to do with Lazycam. It's ok but has its' limits. Also keep in mind the demo version of Mach3 only allows 500 lines of code which should be enough for cutting single letters but would probably fall short for any reverse engraving (raised letters instead of recessed) or larger signs. I sprung for the licensed version of Lazycam and although it is limited it's easy to use and might reduce the learning curve when you purchase a more complex program such as Vcarve.

Quote Originally Posted by hybidder View Post
    I sprung for the licensed version of Lazycam and although it is limited it's easy to use and might reduce the learning curve when you purchase a more complex program such as Vcarve.
    From my experience, Vcarve Pro is far easier to use then LazyCAM.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)