587,997 active members*
1,869 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Material for teachers only

I own a swiss turning shop. Every bar produces an 8" to 12" bar end that we throw in with the chips. Would any of you teachers like some of the bar ends? I can start saving them.
    1018,12L14,1215,1045,1144 CRS
    303, 304 SS
    6061 T-6
    360 brass <- not as much.

Diameters from 1/4" to 3/4"

If you can prove you are a teacher send me an email. The material will be free
    I only ask that you pay the shipping expense.

Dale
    [email protected]

yes

I will e-mail you from my Miami Dade schools account on Monday. the link to my school is http://rmec.dadeschools.net where you will find me as an engineering technology teacher. the email is [email protected].
    "Craft is What I do All Day. Art is what I have at the end of it" Jean Weller

Quote Originally Posted by DLMACHINE View Post
    I own a swiss turning shop. Every bar produces an 8" to 12" bar end that we throw in with the chips. Would any of you teachers like some of the bar ends? I can start saving them.
    1018,12L14,1215,1045,1144 CRS
    303, 304 SS
    6061 T-6
    360 brass <- not as much.

Diameters from 1/4" to 3/4"

If you can prove you are a teacher send me an email. The material will be free
    I only ask that you pay the shipping expense.

Dale
    [email protected]

One good turn might just deserve another....

We might have some Tornos tooling, or other Swiss stuff left over from a batch of machines we got surplus...that we had absolutely no use for. The machines are long since sold, but I was the only person that even knew what they were, so there may be some left over tooling.

Next week we'll be heading out to storage to scrounge for some stuff we need, and if there's any Swiss stuff still there, I'll email you and let you know.
    We might even be able to spring for the the shipping!

If I'm not mistaken, I believe any donations to a school would be tax deductable for the company - that fact alone may persude the boss to spring for the shipping?! Especially if you could write off the original cost of the material/parts.

(Please consult a tax professional as I only throw this out there as a layman.)

Talking scraps please

I'm back. I was out of school for a leave of absence with my little girls..but now back in full force.

Those scraps are indeed tax-deductible. I have e-mailed you from my school account, so please start saving your scraps.
    "Craft is What I do All Day. Art is what I have at the end of it" Jean Weller

I was shocked and overwhelmed with the number of e-mails this thread created. A local state university has made an arrangement with me for the material to be used in their machining program. So this offer is currently closed. If material volume increases then I'll reopen the offer. I appologize for taking so long to reply. I'm very glad we finally found a good use for these
    bar ends.

Dale

Other scrap possibilities

I used to have a small business where I machined my own prototypes prior to production by my local screw mashine shop. I got a lot of 6" - 8" bar ends from them so those looking for this material hsould check for screw mashine shops in there are a or contact them on the web to see if they can provide you with high quality material.

BR,
    Lanb

For anyone out there looking to donate material, PLEASE check with the local school systems.(if they still have any vocational shop class) A lot of them will pick it up if its local. This is a VERY big help as it gives the students a lot of stuff to practice on. Also a lot of them will take almost any shop type material and you get the tax write off.
    The school system that I went to had received all kinds of cut offs from almost every type of shop I can think of, wood, auto, welding, machine, print shops all had donated material in them. That was something I remembered and when I was able to donate I step up and donated to the local school system. You never know, you might just give something that might just bring you your next hire that knows something. It happened to me!

CNC for High School Industrial Arts

I'm new to this forum, so please point me to the right place if this is in error.

I need an advisor or two or ten.

I'm currently building a small, low cost, light weight 3 axis CNC mill that is intended for my own use but thought it could also be useful in high schools that have industrial arts classes, but don't have a metal shop.

It is designed to be assembled in 4 hours using 2 allen wrenches and one 4-40 nut-driver. When finished, it is taken apart and stored for the next class. I'm not good with tools, so no drilling, cutting, gluing or welding.

I have concepts for 3 student labs. I think they would be suitable for any student interested in computer/machine applications with emphasis on learning some basic mechanical principles.

The first lab is simple positioning/movement in one axis. Assembly time is approx 1 hour. Learning how to make it go with low level commands from Hyperterminal about 1 hour. Learning how to make it go with high level commands from SimplexCNC is also about 1 hour.

The second lab is simple positioning/movemint in two axis. Building upon the previous assembley, additional assembly time is approx 1 hour. Learning low and then high level commands is approx 1 hour each.

The third lab is simple and coordinated positioning/movement in three axis. Building upon the previous assembly, additional assesmbly time is approx 1 hour. Learning low and then high level commands is approx 2 hours each. Using a standard Dremel tool, students will create G-code programs to carve their names or favorite quote in 4"4" sheets of balsa foam.

If you school has already invested in a CAD/CAM software pachage, the students can use it to create 3D designs, tool paths and eventually G-code programs that run on this mill to produce a physical model of their design.

Anyway, I sure could use a sounding board and peer review.
    Poor planning on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on my part!