587,558 active members*
3,233 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Vectric > ShopSabre: VCarve Pro + Plasma Cutter

ShopSabre: VCarve Pro + Plasma Cutter

HELP! I have been searching but have found no answers to my question. I also emailed Vectric, but got no answer...

How do you use VCarve Pro w/ a Plasma Cutter? What kind of bit do you use in the curve setup? What do you put for height, spindle speed, etc? What are the paremeters to create a tool that is a plasma cutter and not a physical bit?

Hello FloridaNewBe,

We don't appear to have received your email message - can you resend it to the support and info email addresses.

We have customers running Plasma machines with VCarve Pro but I have to admit that this is not what the software is really designed to do.

In the Tool Database setup an End Mill cutter with the diameter = the required Kerf.

Use the Profile Toolpath selecting to cut on the Outside or Inside of the selected shapes. Specifiy the Cut Depth = 0.000"

You will need to set the torch at the required height then run the toolpath.

I hope this helps.

Tony

I appreciate the responce, thank you! What you have set makes sense, and I will give it a try. But, please clerify a little...

How do I know the required height of the plasma torch above the metal plate to be cut? Is this something I can find in the Hypertherm manual, or does it differ depending on the type and thickness of the metal being cut?

You mention KERF. But, I am not using a saw blade, so wouldn't the cut be right on the center of the tool path? I understand kerf is the amount of play around a saw blade? But how does this term apply to a plama torch?

What about the other paremters like spindle RPM speed, etc. Leave these at default? What about the cut speed? How do I set how fast the machine moves the torch? What about the angle? Should it be straight down?

Hi,

I'm no expert in Plasma cutting so I would recommend talking with your machine supplier, as they should be able to provide you with information / tutorials etc. on how to setup and run the plasma cutter.

Kerf = the gap the plasma torch makes when cutting through the material.

I hope this helps,

Tony

Post processor customization might be in order at some point to remove or add specific commands. I think VCP can work but is an overkill for plasma cutting; no need for V carving, pocketing, engraving capabilities... Cut 2D would have done the trick just as well.

Torch height is generally controlled via the CNC controller or manually; not by the toolpath file(s) generate by the CAM software thought it may require some commands from it hence the possible post processor modifications requirements.
    My business Web site - USINUM - www.cooptel.qc.ca/~usinum
    My BLOG at Blogger - http://pacosarea.blogspot.com/

I think VCP, is a great program for creating DXF files that can then be cut on a plasma.

All the DXF files on my Blog are made with the help of VCP.

I can't give much input about the VCP g-code as far as lead-in, I can tell you that a few guys here on cnczone have used my files, & have done a great job cutting them on a plasma cnc.

Here are a few samples of the end result, of my DXF files created with VCP, & then cut by other members.

1) http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1856

2) http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=291

3) http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=271

Free DXF - vectorink.com