587,510 active members*
3,630 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

The Foos table begins...

Got the electronics, bearings, and rails... going to begin construction soon.

55 inch 20mm pillow block rails. (Same length as foos)
    15 inch THK rails for the Z.
    34 inch Thompson 1" for the Y. (Same width as foos)

Gecko 203Vs
    CNC4PC 11G

400 VAC
    50VDC
    8Amp
    PSU

KL23H276-30-8B Stepper Motors...
    http://www.kelinginc.net/KL23H286-20-08B.pdf

Got the electronics working... so figured it is time to start.

Planning to keep the Foos theme (Foos guys for dampers and table painted as soccer field)

The foos table has a weak tabletop. Going to replace with a buildup top.
    Sides of the foostable must be cut to allow for the gantry slide.

Any thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails foos.jpg  

You won't need dampers with the 203Vs. They have electronic damping built-in.

Quote Originally Posted by rgoldner View Post
    You won't need dampers with the 203Vs. They have electronic damping built-in.
    Could I still do it for fun?

Wondering if these would benefit anyone. I pulled the foosguy rods out of the table. There are 8 ranging from 3 feet to 4 feet. Upon further examination... they are 5/8th inch drilled at various spacing and tapped at one end.

http://www.foosballstore.com/product...iption/976.cfm
    Thompson sports makes the ones on the website... think that is the same Thompson that makes the linear rod?

When I was first starting out my cnc design I was looking for rod... if it were a snake...

Should I sell them on ebay?

Near complete control box.

After much soldering, the control box is near complete. Still need to make back panel and lid.

Tested all connections and verified all motor operation. Everything is working great. Used Serial ATA cables (SATA) for control wires between the breakout board C11G and the drivers 203V. Was worried they would melt, but they are working great. Apparently the signal amps are extremely low.

Noticed an occasional bump in the motors as they are turning around 70,000 steps per minute. approximately one bump per second. They seem to be running well, but there is a bump noise consistently... is this normal? From sound to text .... weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee thump weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee thump weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee thump. The motors seem to be moving at a consistent speed throughout so I am not too concerned, but wonder what causes this.

Here are some pictures of the control box...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00448.JPG   DSC00449.JPG   DSC00451.JPG   DSC00454.JPG  

DSC00457.JPG   DSC00458.JPG  

I'm running the same BOB and 203v, but no bump in the night here. Not sure what would be causing it. PS. good use of the old foos!

Kind of ironic -I am thinking of building a foos ball table using the "yet to be built" cnc router.

Quote Originally Posted by harryn View Post
    Kind of ironic -I am thinking of building a foos ball table using the "yet to be built" cnc router.
    Well crap... I could have let you build the CNC table and then trade me for the foos table. :stickpoke

Questions for the pros

Now that the electronics are 95% complete (still need to attach the limit home switches), I have started on the mechanical portion.

I bought a solid core door to place over the foos. I'm going to attach mdf and t-slot tracks to the door.

I'm going to put the Y (or X? ... the long ones) directly attached to the door.

I got these 20 mm Linear rails which are 55 inches long.

Is it okay to mount these sideways? Or does the flat of the support need to be facing downward? I tried them in both configurations and they seem to work the same. So I am currently planning to connect them to the edges of the door.

I have used a solid core door in the past for a workbench. The humidity in the northwest has extreme fluctuations and have had no problems with it. Has anybody used a solid core door in the past? (basically veneered MDF)

Quote Originally Posted by georgeburns View Post
    Well crap... I could have let you build the CNC table and then trade me for the foos table. :stickpoke
    Trust me, you are better off building the cnc yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by harryn View Post
    Trust me, you are better off building the cnc yourself.
    LOL... I'll let the results speak for themselves... I'm currently considering Elmers or Duct tape for the piece I'm working on now.

Actually... I'm leaning toward less of the foos table and more of the door. I think the Foos will be something I just set this cnc on top of.

The Foos field isn't as sturdy as I had thought. Completely worthless as a work surface.

Maybe I can keep the functionality of the foos with a removable CNC top.

Z Axis Glue up...

Couple of pics of the Z axis in progress...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00460.JPG   DSC00459.JPG  

Z axis complete. Sorry it's dark, but it was dark.

getting close

Here is a picture of the gantry. Getting closer to done. It is really solid, can't wait to see it move. Moving away from the Foos theme, as it will probably just be sitting under this thing as a way to not have it on the floor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00463.JPG