587,511 active members*
3,246 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Errrrrr One way nut!?!?

I finished the Z, then thought I was done with the Y.

Cranked up the Y motor and wanted to see some movement.

It would go left and stall to the right. Idiot me... I kept toggling left and right, thinking it would free itself up.

My Y axis is now stuck in the full left position against the gantry. Seems I'm going to have to drill a large access hole in the gantry so I can loosen the nut mount.

What would cause the nut to move in one direction but not the other?

I thought my alignment would be spot on, because the rail and bearing mounts are prefabbed and pressed against each other. Even if it was alignment... why would it go one direction and not the other?

:drowning:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00463.JPG  

If you can get to the mounting screws/bolts, loosen the brackets on each end of the lead screw and/or lower guide rail enough that it will self align relative to the top guide rail. This should allow the parts to move again. It sounds like something is misaligned enough vertically and/or horizontally to cause serious binding. Each time you moved it toward the binding point it got progressively tighter.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

This happens to me occasionaly when I'm up against the end stop. If you can get to the leadscrew try turning it manualy to free the binding.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Thanks for the advice CarveOne... I was able to get it all loose without having to cut out anything.

I figured out the problem. The black oxide finish on the screw expanded the diameter. I sanded it off with some 220, 400, and then some 3M scotch brite pads. Nut moves easily now.

Also noticed that the nut moves more easily in the non spring direction. (Which I think caused the one way problem.

I'm about to put it back together, so we will see.