588,685 active members*
5,927 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Epoxy Granite > Epoxy-Granite machine bases (was Polymer concrete frame?)

Hybrid View

Maths help required !

If I spin a 3/4" diameter plastic pipe as above filled with epoxy resin at about 3000rpm, the force on the pipe wall will be equivalent to pressurizing the pipe to some fairly high figure.
    Realizing that this might exceed the pressure rating on the pipe, I can see a possible nasty ahead.

I'd be very grateful if some kind soul, wishing me not to be covered in epoxy/sand, could run me through the maths.
    I'd particularly like a general formula so that I can substitute alternative figures.
    Thanks
    John
    It's like doing jigsaw puzzles in the dark.
    Enjoy today's problems, for tomorrow's may be worse.

Samples Sawed

John,

I managed to get revision A of the tile saw to sample saw conversion running today.

It's up to your standards of construction. No bearing failures yet however the brilliant design failed to account for the clamping screws interfering with the mitre guage. I threw a couple of cobalt lathe bits behind the mitre guage since they're parallel and small and I was able to cut samples but the hope is that revision B will cut straighter and with less of a major hassle. I need to modify the clamping assembly so that the the clamping screws bear on an intermediate piece rather than the sample itself as tightening the screws causes the samples to move unless extraordinary care is taken.Also, some of the epoxy paint flaked off of the assembly. I suppose I knew in my heart I should have baked it before use but live and learn. I must also say that I don't feel that either the spindle of the tile saw or the linear bearing from the old table which I adopted are rigid enough but with a better clamping assembly, they may do.

I didn't destroy any samples and will be able to test but I am slightly disappointed with the result of the cutting.

Unfortunately, the biggest sample I can test is 3/8 x 1/2 x 7.5 due to the text fixture available. I can however cut samples of 3/4 x3/4 or less to the size I can test. I can also probably figure out a way to cut some of the strange tube shape samples but I haven't worked out how yet.

Regards all,

Cameron