587,240 active members*
3,907 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > What is the best 3D CAM Software?

View Poll Results: What is the best 3D CAM software?

Voters
577. You may not vote on this poll
  • Catia

85 14.73%
  • Cimatron

37 6.41%
  • Esprit

47 8.15%
  • Mastercam

289 50.09%
  • One CNC

49 8.49%
  • Surfcam

70 12.13%
Page 14 of 27 4121314151624

Wink

So if most of the discussion is regarding NX, why is it not on the list for best software, which it is.
    BTW, I have an eval (all the functionality, but no posting) copy of OneCNCXR2 Mill Professional, what a joke...

what do you guys think of alibre xpress and alibre profesional?

How strong is the 4th axis? any pros and cons, things to look out for?

regards

I would have to say stay away from Gibbs. They use to have a good product but the last 4 years they have not touched their 3 axis module (solid surfacer) and the changes they are trying in order to catch up to everyone else are bad at best. They also have raised their maintenance fees over 20% this year.

Exclamation Proof?

How many of the softwares mentioned here are willing to put their money where there mouth is. How many will walk into your shop cold, get data from you that they have never seen, program it right there on the spot then cut it?
    If they won't WHY???????????

I work for Graphic Products the Japanese software company that produces CAM-TOOL. Our procedure in sales is exactly as above. Prove it in steel or whatever material and there is no need to say any more.

I'm not saying that anyone should buy my product only that every product should be made to prove what they say in steel or other material. This way fewer customers will end up with inferior software.

How many of the softwares mentioned here are willing to put their money where there mouth is. How many will walk into your shop cold, get data from you that they have never seen, program it right there on the spot then cut it?
    WorkNC does, you can do an evaluation of the software too. With a working post.

Exclamation

Cam-Tool also has an evaluation period with posts. Posts don't cost anything extra no matter how many you need and support and training are available seven days a week.

I was merely pointing out that unlike any other product we buy, cam software seems to be purchased without a test usually resulting in an unhappy customer. If WorkNc does all that then more power to them. As I said this is not a sales pitch. Remember one thing salesmen lie... Steel doesn't. Make them prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeD0ct0r View Post
    So if most of the discussion is regarding NX, why is it not on the list for best software, which it is.
    BTW, I have an eval (all the functionality, but no posting) copy of OneCNCXR2 Mill Professional, what a joke...
    That's being kind. OneCNC XR2 is crapware.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jarvis View Post
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jarvis View Post
    Now Now lets play nice. Everyone here that uses a CAD/CAM Software can argue which is the Best One.

Honestly, the Best One is the one that suites your specific needs. That is the best CAD/CAM Software.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

LOL. Okay, thread closed.

I am telling everyone to go get Catia. Those 15 minute programs that take 40 hours in Mastercam sold my Boss. He went out and got the 100k of things to do all the 5 axis and Mill/Turn work we do then he spent over 15K on I-Cam so we could be doing the 15 minute programs. Of course we have to close out door now since that bankrputted us. But know we have the software to program in 15 minutes that use to take 40 hours in Mastercam.

Yeah right. Don't think so. But everyone should do this ask Mike. (nuts)

How about for home use?

In a past professional life I had access to CADAM, Catia, and UCC APT and are familiar with them. For home use however most of the software I've seen is in the multi thousands of dollars and not practical. It's been a while since I was last in this world and don't have a feel for what's available, good, bad, etc for home use. Can anyone point me toward a couple of good possibilities. My threshold for financial pain may be a problem as I would like to stay under $1000 for solid modeling and tool path processing.

Any input will be greatly appreciated....

Thumbs up 100K for Catia?

Quote Originally Posted by crazythunder View Post
    I am telling everyone to go get Catia. Those 15 minute programs that take 40 hours in Mastercam sold my Boss. He went out and got the 100k of things to do all the 5 axis and Mill/Turn work we do then he spent over 15K on I-Cam so we could be doing the 15 minute programs. Of course we have to close out door now since that bankrputted us. But know we have the software to program in 15 minutes that use to take 40 hours in Mastercam.

Yeah right. Don't think so. But everyone should do this ask Mike. (nuts)
    Ron,

You think Catia costs 100K? Watch it Ron, your knowledge is showing.

P.S. What the hell is I-Cam and what does "bankrputted us" mean Mr $100,000 a year Mastercrap "Genius." Can't even spell. LOL (nuts)

will,

for solid modeling look @ alibre. A decent package and the base package is free. They do have a CAM package that I am not familiar with so I can't recommend that part of it, but there is a plethora of low end packages to choose from each having it's strengths and weaknesses. You'll have to demo as many as you can, and figure out which will best suit your needs.

Problem with your catia experience will be that with the low end packages, you will not get the tool control that you are used to.
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

Mike

I-CAM is a 3rd party post processor that works with programs such as Catia, and I believe older versions of Unigraphics.

If you were such an all knowing CADCAM Genius, I'd figure you would know that!!!!!
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

Quote Originally Posted by big_mak View Post
    Mike

I-CAM is a 3rd party post processor that works with programs such as Catia, and I believe older versions of Unigraphics.

If you were such an all knowing CADCAM Genius, I'd figure you would know that!!!!!
    Why on earth would I use a 3rd party post program when I am working with the latest versions of both? You two need to get into the 2008's.

Well then you must be one of the privileged ones who doesn't have to buy their own seats.

UG where I was at was a legacy system kept around for the old programs instead of updating everything to Catia, when Boeing insisted that all tier one suppliers go to Catia.

Now I'm not 100% certain, but the Catia guys were all still generating apt then converting it Via I-Cam, or quite possibly they were creating their own posts in I-CAM, which is very possible. These guys had new machines with controls unfamiliar to them, and the change from UG to Catia at the same time. It was interesting to work there that was for sure.

Well then you must be one of the privileged ones who doesn't have to buy their own seats.

UG where I was at was a legacy system kept around for the old programs instead of updating everything to Catia, when Boeing insisted that all tier one suppliers go to Catia.

Now I'm not 100% certain, but the Catia guys were all still generating apt then converting it Via I-Cam, or quite possibly they were creating their own posts in I-CAM, which is very possible. These guys had new machines with controls unfamiliar to them, and the change from UG to Catia at the same time. It was interesting to work there that was for sure.
    I have worked for Boeing but the posts were already there. Now I am working for a software company selling the latest versions of UGS NX5 & 6 and Catia. I appreciate the info though.

How much for a 2-1/2" Axis mill package with lathe thrown in? I've liked the look of the new UG and if it's improved over the V18 I was using then you should be able to make the tools do precisely what you want.

When I started my shop, NX seemed way out of my price range.

How much for a 2-1/2" Axis mill package with lathe thrown in? I've liked the look of the new UG and if it's improved over the V18 I was using then you should be able to make the tools do precisely what you want.

When I started my shop, NX seemed way out of my price range.
    Now NX is competively priced with MC, Catia, etc. And you can't beat the G code style, full machine tool simulation built into it either. I will PM you with the details. There are so many systems out there but in my opinion nothing beats the APT based, absolute tool control, of Siemens NX5 and the new NX6.

Page 14 of 27 4121314151624