588,443 active members*
5,642 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Newbie Looking for Advice (Sherline or HF Conversion)

Hybrid View

Most of the fear you have with a stepper system is fear of losing steps. In the middle of a cut or a workpiece it could be disaster. Oblong circles and short straight lines are something hard to correct. Being relatively new to this myself (2 years) I would rather be bored for 30 minutes than scrapping a piece and having to start over. My frustration with the small envelope and the slow feed led me to move up (?) to the mini mill. It's all relative. If the pieces you want are small enough or you have enough patience to reposition your work many times you can be happy with the Sherline. It is precise and can be adjusted to a remarkable extent.

Sorry to be confusing! Ther is no way I can explain all that stuff without writing a book, so I really think you should try to figure out all that stuff out so you can really understand what what need vs what you want vs what you want to spend For stepper motors, I would suggest reading the "white papers" at Gecko's website under the support section.

http://www.geckodrive.com

Then I would try some searches on this site and some internet searches, hoping to find some technical papers that cover all the bases. Speaking to a vendor over the phone may be helpful.

You say you're not worried about speed now...just wait hehe

Justin