588,075 active members*
4,824 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Torchmate > I need to know before I start if I am going about this in the right direction.

I need to know before I start if I am going about this in the right direction.

First, Hello to all!:wave: I have been reading all the information this sight has available. (Been reading for a few days. I’m very impressed with the amount of information this sight has to offer) This is my first post; I have wanted to build/buy a Torchmate 1 with my son (14yr) and daughter (9yr) as a learning project:argue:. I’ve been wanting to build one for a while now, But financially I haven't had the extra money as of yet. (Still saving:nono:"wife") I feel that this is a major purchase and it has to fit in my budget (this is why I’m think of going with the TM1). I want to know if anyone has tackled one of these kits and how they feel about it. I see that Mike from Torchmate on this sight (and I mean no offence by asking these questions to you or your company, every question that I have seen that was posted to you seemed to be answered very fast and you truly want to help anyone that needs it) I just really want an honest opinion from people that have taken on this or are doing this now. Is this kit worth the money it cost? As far as I have read it is, but maybe someone that has/is building one may know a better way or have a suggestion on doing something different. I have no dough that I can build the table. I have been a Industrial Sheet Metal Master for the last 17 years, but I have "NO" and I mean "NO" experience with CNC or Cad of any type, so this is a very scary investment for me. I don't think that it’s anything that I can't learn and I feel that if we learn something new from this build it will be worth it. I feel that if I can show the kids that their only limited by their own imagination it will be worth it. I just don’t want to disappoint them or be disappointed with something that will not do what we want it to do. As my kids get older maybe they can make a little extra money in the process. I have always been around some type of plasma table of some kind (the company I worked for in the past used one to cut sheet metal fittings for duct work) I just never had the availability to program the machine. I find it fascinating the way this works and think it will be a learning experience that we will never forget, I just want it to be a good memory. For the money it cost I want to try to get everything out of the machine I can. I want to build a 5’ x 10’ table and to be able to cut at least 3/8” steel. ( I don’t feel that I will ever cut anything thicker than ¼” steel) I will mainly cut thin sheet metal 1/16” at the most for my part time Sheet Metal Co, but I want the available to cut ¼” steel for me here and their. Any information will be appreciated and I will be reading in the background. Thanks to all MMeekAll information will be appreciated

We've been running our torchmate for about 3-4 years now. We bought their kit and assembled it ourselves. We also added a downdraft table for fumes. We're using the hypertherm 1000, but if .25 is your max. capacity you could go smaller on the plasma and save a few bucks.

The customer service is second to none. I'm sure the guys over at torchmate would be more than willing to give you a crash course on cnc operation. There hasn't been a problem they haven't been able to solve for us, most of the time it takes less than a day.

Mike

New Machine Build

Thanks for the information. That makes me feel more confident about using Torchmate. MMeek

I purchased a TM2 5x10 bolt together last fall after doing a lot of research. I had originally intended to go with the kit but steel prices for the table,welding costs and time turned out to be more than the bolt together. My wife and I assembled it in a weekend at our own pace and I incorporated a water table as well. I agree with Med-Pac on the support, both live phone support and the support pages on the website have been great. We were also new to CAD but it has been more fun than frustration learning the many tools and the driver program for the table is pretty straight forward. We're doing things with the CAD and on the table that we never thought of at the outset. Seems like people want something made when they find out what we are doing. Good Luck with your project.
    Mike

Maybe a little insight

MMeek,

I am just getting ready to build the table for our Torchmate 3 machine with a 5' x 10' table. This forum will be extremely helpful to you in your endeavor.

I think that you will be happy with the treatment you receive from Torchmate. I haven't even bought my machine yet and I have been impressed with the level of service and professionalism shown by the tech department and the sales team.

It sounds like you won't be using the table for anything very big, but let me just tell you that from the little that we have used another table in our area and the kind of jobs you start imagining be sure not to underestimate what you will want to do.

Your confidence with the machine will increase daily and soon you will be finding projects that you wish you could do "if only".

The size of the table is cost and space prohibitive of course but don't short change yourself on the plasma cutter. Get a torch that will do twice what you think you might ever actually do, it will work great for you and the extra will be there when you want it. The price of a torch that will do 1/2" mild steel as opposed to one that will only do 1/4" is not much different.

Little desiccant air dryers can be had fairly cheap and they will make your expensive consumables last longer(from what I've read and heard).

From one beginner to another, good luck and have fun.
    Alliance Forever....Horde Sucks LOL

Smile

Hi,
    I bought the TM3 kit and built my table. I added a watertable. I still only have the hand torch holder, but the table is all they said it would be and then some. I also had NO cad experience. I have gone from no experience to being fairly adept in only a few short weeks. The learning experience is great and I believe doing this with your kids is a wonderful idea.
    I already had a Hypertherm 1250 and am really glad that I did. I have already been asked to cut some half inch steel and it worked great.
    Mike Pennington
    www.penningtonfab.com

Talking Thanks to everyone

I have been reading other threads and found that I’m not the only that has/wants to built the TM1. I found blackhollow has taken on this challenge and done very will with it. If anyone else has an opinion please let me know what you think. I do appreciate the information very much. Thanks MMeek

Hey MMeek,

Look under the "DIY CNC router table" thread, there's a ton of people that have done there own tables. We have also built a router table that's a beefier version of the torchmate to compliment our plasma. It's nice to be able to work/cut anything. We're under the "Med-Pac's new machine" thread.

Plenty of pics, might be of use to ya.

Mike

Very Nice Table

Medpac, I found your thread on DIY last night. The table that you fab is very nice, that is very similar to how I was thinking of building our table. I want to build an extra heavy duty table and a light weight Y axis.(I hope this is the correct terminology)I found someone selling 50ft of 6” I beam over the weekend for $100.00. I think I will have just enough to fabricate my table. I was thinking of building a 6’ x 11’ table, this would allow me to have a cut area of 5’ x 10’. I was thinking of building the gantry and a separate table to roll under the table with the metal on it. I was thinking that this would aid in the loading process and hopefully prevent bumping the table out of square. What’s your thought if you don’t mind me asking? Again very nice table! :banana:, Thanks MMeek

I wouldn't worry about the table getting bumped out of square. Our table is built out of 2 x 4 I-beam. Never had a problem with it, yet. We have regularly put 4 x 8 x .50 alum. on our table by hand/forklift, with no issues. With 6" I-beam, you'll have a stronger table than us. I do like the idea of a roller table for load/unload process. Let me know if you go that route.

Mike

we recently bought a 5x10 tm2 bolt-together. i expect you'll be happy with the whole experience.