587,655 active members*
6,125 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by joeybagadonuts View Post
    Can you post a video of the train as it runs over the 8020?

JoeyB
    Ask, and.... [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B96sSAsK_s8"]ye shall receive[/ame].

It was just like that, only the 8020 got slightly dirty, and the train is now a scuba attraction in the Potomac river.

Cheers, Jimbo

(hoping tomorrow can be a productive CNC building day!)

More Parts!

More parts! The router holder and the bearings.

There's a company out there that machines these beautiful router holders for us DIY CNCers. They make a variety of sizes compatible with whatever routers are out there. This one fits the popular Hitachi M12VC, which is handy because that's the model router I'm going to use. It's a gorgeous part and, at $60, surprisingly inexpensive.

The bearings are hardened V-groove bearings, and they cost a small fortune. They're going to be worth it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG1597 (Medium).JPG   CIMG1598 (Medium).JPG  

More construction

Alrighty, a few posts ago I wrote up a lengthy primer on protecting steel parts with a spray-on coating of some sort.

Well, now it's time to make those parts sharp and holy.

I have a friend whose father works in the clergy, so I took the primed steel rails to him to make them holy. That guy mumbled a few things in some strange language, made a few gestures and sprinkled a little water on them. He said that was all there was to it, but I was skeptical.

When I got home, it still wasn't clear to me how they would be attached to the superstructure, so I tried a more straightforward approach. My drill press.

When drilling steel, take your time. Lubricate the cut with oil and don't let the bit smoke too much- it'll last longer.

That made all the difference- once drilled out, they bolted to the industrial erector set pieces with little fuss!

The last pic is of my gantry piece and that's a printout of the official Joe plans in the back. I printed mine on 11/17 paper, but I believe the genuine article ships on much larger paper, and is probably suitable for framing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG1622 (Medium).JPG   CIMG1623 (Medium).JPG   CIMG1625 (Medium).JPG   CIMG1627 (Medium).JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by GibbonsRock View Post
    There's a company out there that machines these beautiful router holders for us DIY CNCers. They make a variety of sizes compatible with whatever routers are out there. This one fits the popular Hitachi M12VC, which is handy because that's the model router I'm going to use. It's a gorgeous part and, at $60, surprisingly inexpensive.
    Yes, the router holders that K2CNC produce look to be top notch! Couple that with a Paul Jones Instant Z Axis and you'll have a great looking, bulletproof (?) top end.

Good luck with the assembly!

- Dean