588,404 active members*
4,750 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Okay, Peter.
    I received the new stuff. Just added the extra generator chip to this board. Swapped out what needed swapping and regulated it down to 2.8 volts.
    Viola!
    The speed works perfectly with no loping. The speeds are dead on @ 3000 RPM and 6600 RPM. Within 5 or 6 revs.
    At 1000 speed setting, it is like 960. 2000 is like 1980.
    4000 is around 4060.
    6600 is 6605.
    Perfect enough for my mill for sure. I could likely fiddle with the control board to get it even closer, but this is fine. Nice and smooth operation throughout the speeds. Very nice. Thanks a bunch, Peter.
    That has plagued me for awhile.
    I feel confident that I can do the same for this lathe.

I have made only a little more progress on this. I did manage to powder coat the spindle head and riser. I order the steel plate for the saddle or cross slide base. I'll get a picture or two when I can.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Okay, Peter.
    I received the new stuff. Just added the extra generator chip to this board. Swapped out what needed swapping and regulated it down to 2.8 volts.
    Viola!
    The speed works perfectly with no loping. The speeds are dead on @ 3000 RPM and 6600 RPM. Within 5 or 6 revs.
    At 1000 speed setting, it is like 960. 2000 is like 1980.
    4000 is around 4060.
    6600 is 6605.
    Perfect enough for my mill for sure. I could likely fiddle with the control board to get it even closer, but this is fine. Nice and smooth operation throughout the speeds. Very nice. Thanks a bunch, Peter.
    Hi Lee,

I'm really glad it solved your problem. It is almost impossible to get an open loop speed control to be spot on all the time as there are all sorts of mechanical issues such as mechanical resistance. etc. The best thing to do is set it up to be spot on at the speeds that are important.

Cheers,

Peter.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

That is what I was thinking, Peter. This is well within the range for a mill. Maybe even close enough to thread at some speeds.
    With my small end mills, (3/16") I use 3000 RPM for steel and 6600 for aluminum. Those speeds are almost prefect.

Now on the lathe, I have an index pulse card. I have to see how it will work, but it should get it close enough to thread on there.
    Does this override the DC-06 for threading? Does it work in conjunction? These are questions I will have to find answers to.
    Thanks.
    Lee

Hi Lee,

For threading, Mach measures the spindle speed and adjusts the X feedrate to match the spindle speed. So you set the speed of the spindle to a set value, and Mach3 will match the feedrate to it. The important thing is that the speed stays constant. It is not so important that the actual speed is the same as the set speed, jusyt as long as it doesn't vary.

Cheers,

Peter.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

Thanks Peter.
    I think it will do fine. I did notice that yesterday in the AM, I had a little slower speed than the 3000 or 6600. At night it was back to perfect. My line voltage must vary some.

I know the motor I have for the lathe isn't as strong as the one on the mill. I don't think it has to be. At least not for a small bench top. It's only going to have a 4" chuck.

The motor controller on the mill is real nice with all the adjustments you could want.
    There are fewer on the lathe controller, but should suit.
    Here is a link to that motor driver.

I have a question about using this one with the DC-06.
    This controller won't start at high speed. Will the DC-06 still drive this board?

Will I have to hand code a slow speed initially and then bump it up once running?

Just curious.
    Thanks.
    Lee