4,541 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Bought a damaged Okuma
Page 1 of 3 123

Bought a damaged Okuma

Hello,

We are a complete CNC newbie and how...

We bought a damaged Okuma CNC LB300M lathe. The damaged part is the control panel - OSP P200L. The screen was smashed beyond recovery when the original buyer was unloading the machine. The PCBs behind the screen inside the panel are twisted and one has a crack. The main (big) board with two Intel chips on it, is a goner. We were able to recover the hard disk and a PCI card that was plugged in. These don't _seem_ damaged. Also the annunciators and keys which are not part of the main control PCB are okay. The drives, bed etc. are perfect, i.e. the actual hardware is good - only the controller is bad (seems something just rammed into it).

For whatever reasons, the Okuma service isn't too keen on providing us with a replacement controller. It seems Okuma Japan, where this machine came from, deleted the machine's serial number from their database, and the machine doesn't exist at all for them, so providing any kind of service is not a possibility.

I'd like to know what alternatives do we have to get this machine running.

1. Will it be possible to run this machine using a PC with the PCI card that we were able to extract, along with the data from the hard disk?

2. Can we use any other CNC controller with the drives of this machine? If yes, which ones?

3. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    Abhishek.

If this is a relatively new machine and has AC servo's with non-proprietary drive to them, you may be able to re-use them using a Fagor retro-fit for example.
    But if the machine is in otherwise good shape, I would investigate getting existing controller parts from some of the 3 party repair/replace sources.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

It sounds like you bought a scrapper. Might be just like with junked cars, they are written off and only good for spare parts. Okuma said it is scrap, and tossed the serial number. Your best bet maybe to go with a PC based controller if everything else is okay.

I am not really familiar with the control, or DNC, but couldn't you use DNC to run the machine? And personally I would never call an Okuma scrap.

Quote Originally Posted by littlerob View Post
    I am not really familiar with the control, or DNC, but couldn't you use DNC to run the machine?
    By the sound of it, he is a long way away from DNC
    Al.

Albert E.

Okuma wont help you cause the machine took a hit in the controller. If the machine was under power at the time the electrical damage could be insurmountable. The thinking behind this for okuma is they dont want there name associated with a machine that may never run again so they regard the serial number aka scrap. So going direct to them wont work. The third party is a good idea find a distributor and buy parts from them. Still this may not work due to the fact you don't know how far the damage will stem. If okuma disregarded it there might be a reason for it. Checking the drives, drivers, servos, and all that good stuff would be a good place to start. If those are good a retrofit is what i would do.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteZero View Post
    Okuma wont help you cause the machine took a hit in the controller. If the machine was under power at the time the electrical damage could be insurmountable. The thinking behind this for okuma is they dont want there name associated with a machine that may never run again so they regard the serial number aka scrap. So going direct to them wont work. The third party is a good idea find a distributor and buy parts from them. Still this may not work due to the fact you don't know how far the damage will stem. If okuma disregarded it there might be a reason for it. Checking the drives, drivers, servos, and all that good stuff would be a good place to start. If those are good a retrofit is what i would do.
    I'd be pissed if something happened to my new lathe's controller and Okuma refused to provide service for the machine. It's got to be pretty new if it has a p200 thinc control. There has to be some other reason they won't service it. Or your just not talking to the right people at okuma.

You could also try http://www.infinityrebuild.com/

These guys take okumas and retrofit new controls maybe they can help. I've never used them for anything just saw the ad in the machining mags.

Okuma wont help you cause the machine took a hit in the controller. If the machine was under power at the time the electrical damage could be insurmountable. The thinking behind this for okuma is they dont want there name associated with a machine that may never run again so they regard the serial number aka scrap. So going direct to them wont work.
    Personally I would be a bit upset if I encountered a MTB that had that policy.
    I guess this is the down side to a MTB/OEM that also has a proprietary controller.
    Rather than a MTB that uses a 3rd party controller such as Mitsubishi that offer excellent support of a controller, regardless of what machine it is on.
    Al.

Albert E.

The original poster is in India, maybe it has somthing to do with export laws for japan and technology items or something. All I know is if the riggers or myself accidentally bumped the lcd screen where the control's pc computer happened to be located, and okuma wouldn't sell me the part and told me I have to buy a 150k+ machine instead I'd be really mad :boxing: I wonder if they can actually legaly do that. I've know of a company that went BK that the court had stipulated they supply replacement parts to their customers for a few years. With all the claims Okuma makes of standing behind their older machines, and being able to repair older boards, etc, I think were not hearing the whole story behind this.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    By the sound of it, he is a long way away from DNC
    Al.
    I am the one who said I am not familiar with DNC I dont even know how it runs exeactly. Robert

Quote Originally Posted by MrWild View Post
    It sounds like you bought a scrapper. Might be just like with junked cars, they are written off and only good for spare parts. Okuma said it is scrap, and tossed the serial number. Your best bet maybe to go with a PC based controller if everything else is okay.
    Can you suggest a name or a link for the PC based controller?

Thanks,
    Abhishek.

you don't know how far the damage will stem. If okuma disregarded it there might be a reason for it. Checking the drives, drivers, servos, and all that good stuff would be a good place to start. If those are good a retrofit is what i would do.
    It seems to us that something hit the control panel, possibly a crane's winch or hook which damaged it. So the servos and drives are good.

Who would you suggest for a retrofit?

Thanks,
    Abbhishek.

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    With all the claims Okuma makes of standing behind their older machines, and being able to repair older boards, etc, I think were not hearing the whole story behind this.
    We are not clear about the details, but this is how it is... Apparently, the original buyer had shipping insurance for the machine. Since it was damaged while being unloaded, they had the machine declared as scrap, filed the insurance claim and got their money. And bought a new one. We then bought it at the auction where it was sold as scrap - but we didn't pay scrap prices for it . Since it was now officially a scrap, Okuma refuses to have anything to do with it.

Regards,
    Abhbishek.

Quote Originally Posted by biozen View Post
    Who would you suggest for a retrofit?

Thanks,
    Abbhishek.
    The grade or level of retrofit will depend on how old is the machine and how much use has it had.
    Obviously it is no good putting a great deal into an old tired machine.
    Also are you looking to do this yourself? or are their any retro-fit company's there?

Quote Originally Posted by littlerob View Post
    I am the one who said I am not familiar with DNC I dont even know how it runs exeactly. Robert
    Sorry, I just couldn't resist. There are a couple of definitions of DNC, but usually it means downloading a program line by line when there is not enough memory to hold it all.
    Al.

Albert E.

The grade or level of retrofit will depend on how old is the machine and how much use has it had.
    Obviously it is no good putting a great deal into an old tired machine.
    Its brand new. Had just been shipped to the original buyer's location, and was being unloaded when something hit the control panel.

Also are you looking to do this yourself? or are their any retro-fit company's there?
    If its something like getting a PC, loading the Okuma software and starting the machine, we _could_ do it. But we know its not going to be so easy.

We are also in talks with some retrofitters, but would like to go to them with suggestions from this forum. One of the retrofitters who does Fanuc says there is an incompatibility with Okuma drives and Fanuc controllers. He says all drives and motors will have to be changed. The quoted figure is big. Somebody else says Okuma spindles have motors built-in so that motor cannot be changed, which effectively means that no retrofitting with 3rd party motors/drives is possible.

We are confused. And have come here for some help.

Thanks,
    Abhishek.

Quote Originally Posted by biozen View Post
    One of the retrofitters who does Fanuc says there is an incompatibility with Okuma drives and Fanuc controllers. He says all drives and motors will have to be changed. The quoted figure is big. Somebody else says Okuma spindles have motors built-in so that motor cannot be changed, which effectively means that no retrofitting with 3rd party motors/drives is possible.
    Abhishek.
    Yes this is a big deciding factor, you need to find out what type of command the drives accept, if ±10vdc, then you need a system controller that does not use proprietary drives, like Fanuc, but manuf such as Fagor will.
    If this is a new machine, I still don't know why Okuma would not at least sell you the original replacement parts, even if they don't want to get involved rebuilding it? which would probally be the 'cleanest' way to go.
    Did you get all manuals and documentation etc, and any parameter lists??
    Al.

Albert E.

When talking Okuma and rebuild in the same sentence...always at least start with Infinity Rebuild. There isn't a question they cant answer on Okuma.
    http://infinityrebuild.com/
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Kool Parts View Post
    When talking Okuma and rebuild in the same sentence...always at least start with Infinity Rebuild. There isn't a question they cant answer on Okuma.
    http://infinityrebuild.com/
    Gary
    I would convert it to EMC. That should be a fairly straightforward job. There are lots of people around who have done this sort of conversion.

Ken
    Kenneth Lerman
    55 Main Street
    Newtown, CT 06470

If this is a new machine, I still don't know why Okuma would not at least sell you the original replacement parts, even if they don't want to get involved rebuilding it?
    We are a bit sketchy about the details, but the original buyer had this machine declared scrap and got the insurance claim. Since its officially a scrap now, Okuma cannot give us any replacement for it. It would be like saying that the machine is still somewhere out there, can be brought back to life, consequently the insurance claim would be false. Its complicated and we are getting to know about this stuff now.

Did you get all manuals and documentation etc, and any parameter lists??
    No. Not all... We've been pursuing the matter with the original buyer who sold us the machine.

Regards,
    Abhishek.

Page 1 of 3 123