587,283 active members*
4,599 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Y-axis capability

Thinking about getting a lathe w/ live tools. Haven't gotten too far into the process but was curious what the capabilities are. I need to drill two holes that are off the center line of the part. Does haas have y-axis capability?

Don't get me started on this topic. I have tried to find out the status on the Y axis since Westec 2006. Supposedly there is one coming at some point (may be years)based on the new SS/ST-30 design. I finally got tired of it and bought 2 MORI'S. Superior machine and performance, better software and live tooling setup. Oh, and like another member found out about his TL-25, his sub spindle will not sync correctly with the main spindle. Mine does!!

How big are the parts you need to make?

I would be starting with 22mm square bar. Overall length is about 2.750 inches. Gets 1/2 NPT thread on the end of the bar. 4mm tapped holes on one flat of the bar. An o-ring groove and a drilled hole on another flat. Part it off to length. Pretty simple.

That should be in the NL-1500 to NL-2000 range. I think the 1500 can come with a 16-20 position turret. Plus running multiple tools on each station due to the Y axis. Check the Mori lathe threads. I have a few pictures of a quad holder on my NL-2500SY. Grasshoppa just ordered the same machine last week. Do you run production on these all day every day? If you want some info on the Mori, let me know. I can scan the pages and PM them to you.

What is the price range for these? I'm thinking of running a bar feeder because the cycle time is going to be around 4-5 minutes. 1,000 parts is 83 hours of cycle time. I would be doing this every week. If you don't mind PM me what info you have. Thanks!

I will PM you later today or this evening. The Mori is more expensive but when you option a Haas TL-15 or TL-25 the price is not worth the lack of capability. The Mori is a 24/7 production machine. I have 3 Haas machines and I like them, but they are not Mori's. To give you an example, I make a part that is a 3/4 NPt nozzle. The fastest I ever made them in the Haas was 2 min. 45 sec. On the Mori NL-2500, 1 min 35 sec. Part catch bar pull and start the next part.