587,420 active members*
3,128 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Thanks for the information. It really looked like you were taking much deeper cuts! But still impressive with the DOC and speed.

I love the Taig machine. I just got a new Gecko 540 to replace a Xylotex system that could never work with my system. I have 286 OZ Keling motors and I could not get the XYLOTEX to cut! Lost steps, no increase on speed, and no cutting of parts. It was eventually refunded (The seller was a good guys and helped me with my troubles). I went back to my old system and used it for a few months. I now have a working Gecko 540. I got my TAig today to accidentally rapid at over 100 Ipm. That is way to fast for a machine without linear rails or ballscrews. But let me tell you, the 540 spun the suckers and with huge amounts of power. I have lowered the system to 20 IPM which will be my cutting speeds.

I do not cut steal, I will actually be cutting some tomorrow because I need to make "Panel openings" for my electrical enclosure, the front panel will house the Gecko540, E-Stop, Switches and plugs. Should be really nice!

I do however cut aluminum on this machine and you will see some amazing parts made from this machine in the coming weeks, you won't believe it came from a Taig.

As far as getting coolant going, you will need to use a relay board. If you buy a Break Out Board that has some outputs, you can easily wire a relay board for the coolant. I did that until my BOB went up in flames (Board was defective) But will now be installing a relay on the Gecko540.

I will probably build my own Mill as well. At least I think mainly because, I can. And it would be lots of fun. We'll see though.

It would be easy to strip the Spindle head maybe if you had a sandblaster and you can somehow protect the inside of the spindle bearing holes. But your already stripped it.

-Jason

Hey Mike,

Would you be able to post a couple pics of the completed machine? The motor mount and such are of particular interest to me.

Thanks!

Chris

Machine Pics

Here's a couple pictures of the completed machine and a few of the motor mount. I machined a flange and welded it to the motor housing. That allowed me to do away with the stock treadmill motor mount. The aluminum plate on top is 1/4" thick and those little posts underneith are 1/2" dia, and tapped 10-24unc on one side and M6-1 on the other. I used metal gears from
    https://thehobbyistmachinestore.com/...d321e67ee809f5

Mike Grobowsky
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SSCN0357.JPG   SSCN0358.JPG   SSCN0359.JPG   SSCN0362.JPG  

SSCN0363.JPG  

Very cool! Are going to maybe mount a belt? It has considerable noise, at least from the video.

Awesome machine!

-Jason

Metal Gears

I dont think I'll be converting over to a belt anytime soon. I've seen a fair amount of post about ppl who have had trouble with over loading the bearings do to excessive belt pressure. I may be able to enclose the gears somehow, that should lessen the noise a bit. But for now I'll just have to put up with it.

Mike Grobowsky

Thanks for posting those pics and specs! Very helpful.

Chris

Nice job, Mike, love the pics and info, thanks for sharing-

Edit: by the way, how do I add a youtube video to a post like you did above?

Thanks-
    Dave
    Dave->..

youtube

Dave,
    all you have to do, is copy and paste the link for the youtube video. It will automatically turn it into that video screen.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by gun_mike View Post
    Dave,
    all you have to do, is copy and paste the link for the youtube video. It will automatically turn it into that video screen.

Mike

Thanks so much, Mike, I appreciate that-

Dave
    Dave->..

Page 2 of 2 12