587,642 active members*
3,812 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

cross slide limit switch second part

Hi,

here is the second part of the cross slide limit switch. It's fairly difficult to describe as it's well covered by the cross slide screw cover which carries the adjustable fingers that operate the limit switch.

The first image is the 1,5mm plate cut out ready to be folded, as usual, I've drilled holes in the corners to make it easier to fold.

Number two is the cover folded.

Photo three, I welded the corners as I did on the switch box, again to keep out suds and chips.

Image number four, tapping the end of the cross slide, I used the existing tapped holes, as I didn't have the appropriate Whitworth screws, I drilled them out to 5mm and tapped to 6mm.

In number five, the cover is clamped in position and a strip of 1,5mm plate is bolted to the cross slide. The the two are tack welded together.

The sixth image is of the cover, welded together, I was too lazy to get out the MIG, it's only 1,5mm. OK MIG would have been prettier!

With the cover "G" clamped in place, I drilled and tapped two more 5mm fixing holes.

Image number eight is the end of one of the two adjustable fingers that will trip the limit switch. Two six centimetre lengths of 10mm X 15 mm CRS (it could have been anything, hot rolled mild steel, brass, Al! I just happened to have that)are drilled 8mm through the 15mm side, the other way is drilled 5mm to be threaded M6, I milled a 3mm step in the end as the bolts that I had have only 10mm of thread. The stepped side is drilled out to 6mm. Finally I cut a slot using two blades side by side in my hacksaw to give a 2mm slot.

Photo number nine is of the two fingers on their 8mm rail prior to welding the rail in place.

In number ten, I've welded the rail in place. I was pleased that I didn't do any more than tack it and try it as I had to reposition it.

The last three photos are X+ limit, X in between an X-limit.

All this will be painted.

I will cover wiring later.

Regards, Matthew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails limitcross.jpg   screwcovr.jpg   srewcovr2.jpg   tapslide2.jpg  

coverfixing2.jpg   covweld.jpg   tappingcover1.jpg   limitfinger3.jpg  

fingerail.jpg   fingerail2.jpg   limitwork1.jpg   limitwork2.jpg  

limitwork3.jpg