587,892 active members*
4,099 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Manual use of CNC

I think I know the answer to this but need to check before going ahead. Once I have converted the 3 axis to stepper drives, will I be able to use the machine in manual mode with handles? The handle will either be placed on the outside of the stepper or at the other end of the ballscrew. I assume that I would need some sort of DRO to get manual position data an wouldn't be able to get that through Mach3. Would using servo's help?

You will need a DRO or dials for positioning manually. I have servos and the encoders are open loop, they do not feedback back to the DROs, they feedback to the servo drivers. There is a product out there that I have inquired about (with no response) that will make the encoders provide closed loop feedback to the DROs and positioning with the drivers powered off.
    http://www.rogersmachine.net/encoderinterface.html
    I decided not to pursue it as the high helix angle and low friction of the ballscrews makes their holding power almost nonexistent, and there are no table locks on the machine. The table would move too easily with the axis drives turned off to really be any use. My RF-45 has the head under CNC control and a conventional quill so I get the best of both worlds.
    Joe

Cube3
    I can't answer for steppers, but with servos and ballscrews, the answer is no for a couple of reasons.
    First, you indicated ballscrews and that means you will have to turn off the servos in order to move the axis. Then with very little force, the axis can be "back driven" and you will loose your position.
    Secondly, you can't move the axis with the servos on. It will lock them in place.

On my machine, I lost the hand wheels entirely and haven't looked back since. For manual operation, I either use the MDI mode and enter the appropriate command or use the jog screen to move around using the keyboard keys.

Another option would be to make/obtain a MPG (manual pulse generator) and use that knob to move an axis.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Like Bubba mentioned and I also use the MDI but I got tired of using the keyboard to jog and the MPGs are rather pricey so I have a gamepad hooked to mine. A little advice though - make sure the gamepad has 4 direction buttons so you don't accidentally go off in a direction you dont want when you're using it to zero the axis or using it to jog a cut. I have a joystick like pad on mine right now and its a pain to zero the x/y and I don't dare use it to jog a cut.

There are several on eBay that have just the buttons for real cheap.

Gamepad as an example.

Rick

I'm planning a ballscrews-and-servos conversion of an X2. I plan to have handwheels, and the ability to use the servo encoders for DRO.

For "manual mode" the servo amplifiers will be powered off, but the encoders will be powered. I'll use the gib locks to immobilize all the axes except for the one I'm turning.

I believe EMC2 will do this just fine.

Possibly over time i'll learn why all the people who actually know what they're doing use MPGs instead of handwheels...

Possibly over time i'll learn why all the people who actually know what they're doing use MPGs instead of handwheels...
    Why cnc the mill if you still going to hand crank it. Why spend the money then just keep spinning the handwheels

Like many others you will find that the MDI interface and MPG or Gamepad will work just as good as hand cranking it. I use it this way for fly cutting, It leaves the surface with a great finish. For simple roughing I can close the enclose to keep the chips contained.

What kind of operations are you trying to accomplish with hand wheels?

I'm thinking that by feeling the machine working in my hands, I'll gain a better understanding of the machining processes, the behaviors of the cutting tools and materials, and the limitations of the machine.

I'm very new at all this...

It's very good to learn how to manually run your mill before cnc'ing it.
    You'll have a better understanding of what the machine can handle when you go to program it.
    Once you have a good understanding of the machine and it's capabilities,You will never miss having handwheels on the machine. As stated above, MDI, gamepad or keyboard or a mpg will take their place.

Steve

Thanks guys for all the input. I have used mills for over 20 years and used Fanuc CNC mills with axis selectable jog wheel, all worked fine. I am unsure of the Mach3 interface and the ability to jog or traverse each axis. The hand wheels on my own CNC conversion seemed the obvious solution. I will design my conversion with the hand wheel as an option, see how Mach3 works out and make a decision then.

MACH3 is quite powerful. You'll have full control over any axis individually.

Steve

I CNCd my mill almost a year ago. One of my huge concerns was having the handwheels and being able to jog it manually. It ended up not being a concern at all....you want to know how many times I've needed the handwheels? None. In fact, after I learned a little about Mach3, I found that it was actually easier to type in a command and move the table that way. I never did install the handles.

Don't miss them either.

I'm using a ShuttlePro for a handheld instead of a gamepad, but works the same.

Mike