588,671 active members*
6,445 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > G540 problem, steppers not moving
Page 2 of 2 12
    if I don't have the estop emulated, it's constantly in estop mode. yeah, I've tried it pretty much every combination you can think of.

Smile

Please uncheck the Estop active low and also Estop emulated.

when i have them both unchecked it keeps triggering an outside estop.

I check for continuity between pins 10 and 12 (and also pin 10 and my PS V-) so the G540 should think there is an estop switch installed and not activated. the only way to get the estop off was to check the emulated box.

Smile

ok try setting port to 0 for Estop that will should bypass Estop

Smile

Do you have a instant messenger?

I don't at the current second. i'd have to re-download it. give me a bit....

AOL Messenger: jalessi

Yahoo Messenger: alchemist135

Have you checked to see that in the bios your printer port is set to EPP? This was an issue for me.

Smile

Your LPT port settings in your bios are wrong or the cable is not correct, that is why the Estop condition wont go away!

jalessi, funny you should say that. I called up Gecko today and spoke with one of the engineers. we have it narrowed down to either a faulty cable, or a bad parallel port on my PC (which i doubt, since it was working fine just a few days ago).

Fixittt, yup I switched that today as well without any luck.

what cable are you using to run the gecko? I know its not the one that was running your xylotex unless you put a gender changer on it. can you check the cable to make sure that it is a straight thru cable?

Smile

Cliff,

You can thank Fixittt for the solution, we where talking about your problem and he was the one that figured it out.

Jeff...

Quote Originally Posted by Fixittt View Post
    what cable are you using to run the gecko? I know its not the one that was running your xylotex unless you put a gender changer on it. can you check the cable to make sure that it is a straight thru cable?
    just a regular m/m 25pin par data cable. so if it's a straight thru I'm assuming I can check continuity between pin 1 and pin 1 on either side of the cable, pin 2 and pin 2, ect..?

and thanks Fixittt! hopefully this is my problem.

i am going to assume that you are running the xylotex 269`s on the g540? it will work as I have a machine with the same setup. I have smaller resistors then you have though. And I am using the 24v xylotex PSU and the machine still flys. I would suggest that you call around and find a gender changer for the end of your cable that was working with the xylotex setup.

ok, i'll have to give that a try.

Im willing to place a very large $$$$ bet that its your cable that is the problem. we know that the xylotex cable works, just needs the end changed to match up to the gecko drive. There is a very likley hood that the cable you have maybe a data transfer cable. Just looking at the ends will not do it. it has to be a straight or PASS thru cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixittt View Post
    Im willing to place a very large $$$$ bet that its your cable that is the problem. we know that the xylotex cable works, just needs the end changed to match up to the gecko drive. There is a very likley hood that the cable you have maybe a data transfer cable. Just looking at the ends will not do it. it has to be a straight or PASS thru cable.
    You sir, are correct! I got a male/male adapter, and plugged in my old cable I used with the Xylotex, and she works, oh so nice, now. Thank you guys SO much.

special thanks to jalessi, the slave driver, who had me reinstalling mach3 at nearly 1 in the morning trying to troubleshoot over AIM. what a stand-up guy. People like you is what makes this forum a invaluable resource for everyone.

also special thanks to Fixittt, who lived up to his name, and help me get me rolling again!

Page 2 of 2 12