587,228 active members*
3,691 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

I love my bandsaw.

My bandsaw finally arrived. Was slightly beaten up en-route. But nothing that small hammering here and there wouldn't fix. But after that, I was into cutting my work pieces from 16' long stocks. Amazing how it cut straight and with a nice finish. Love it! And it works in horizontal as well as vertical. Cut through cast iron like butter.

Metal bandsaw, every hobbyists/machinists should have one. Wonderful machine.

What brand and model did you purchase?
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

You have really lucked out with that purchase. Just think you was about to bring home alittle table top model, now look where your at.

Jess

Hi Herb,

I got a Waytrain UE-712A. Its a big machine. Love how it cuts metal like nothing (well, I am exaggerating, but if I get the speed and blade right, it might). Here is the actual machine I bought. Its used but not much. I think I got it at half price.

The funny thing is, I am really enjoying cutting metal now with it and the mill is just sitting there not doing much.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB101198.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	70357

Hi Jess,

I sure did, didn't I. That goes to show what a bit of searching and shopping around will give you. Really happy with it.

Alex

After years of frustration with a rather erratic, lightweight, basic Chinese bandsaw, I just bought 300 lbs of nearly new Sealey with hydraulics, suds pump and four spare blades. My eyes have been opened and I have seen the light. What a difference :banana:

Glad I didn't go for the light weight bandsaw.

Talking about using my bandsaw. I think I am stuck with it for a while. Will be exclusively cutting metal with the bandsaw after I became part of the statistic. Finally joined the club of stripping the teeth on my motor and intermediate gears. I thought I was immune until I tried to face an aluminium work piece and the depth of cut was a bit beyond what the mill could take.

Oh well! I ordered the metal gears from littlemachineshop. Should get here in a week time. Didn't want to get the conversion kit as I am planning to build my own from Hoss's plan. Bought 3 V belts from LMS as well. I have to say, shipping and handling charges by LMS is a bit high for my taste. But then again no one else carries the spares.

Alex

Not sure I'd be blaming LMS for high shipping charges. I've been shipping a lot of stuff lately, and I'm amazed at what it costs these days - seems like the prices have doubled in the last year! Things that I thought would be $1-2 are at least $5. International shipping costs are completely insane!

Regards,
    Ray L.

Why didn't you get a belt drive kit?

I am planning to make my own based on Hoss's plan. USD130 plus shipping is just way too expensive for me. I think I can get the parts done for way under that. Shouldn't be too difficult to do.