588,344 active members*
5,096 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > One years worth of pics and videos of my 43" x 98" MDF machine FIRST BUILD!!!

Hybrid View

First cuts with the machine!

First cuts went very well!!!

Here is the roughing step in rigid foam..

Roughing step

Beginning of the finishing step...

3D milling

Finished finishing...

Finished finishing

First 'machined' piece...

Full view 3D test

Close up view of piece...

Finished test

Here is a view of my custom cam controller box...

Cam controller open

Cam Controller closed

Impressive planning and execution. Way to go. I hope you post more vids. Were there any problems that you ran into that you may want to share with a noobie like me?

Quote Originally Posted by FandZ View Post
    Impressive planning and execution. Way to go. I hope you post more vids. Were there any problems that you ran into that you may want to share with a noobie like me?
    I didn't really run into a lot of problems.. One major suggestion I'd have is to go with 1/2" lead screws... I went with 5/8"-8 2 start (4 TPI). There is huge support for 1/2" Like the dumpster nuts etc... not so much for the 5/8".

Start smaller than I did. My thinking was that my gantry would look the same for a 48" table as it would for a 96" table... why save the 20$ in MDF and $50 in lead screw? I am glad I have the working area, but I am already working on revisions and a smaller table design.

Take the addage that 'no one builds only one table' as fact... Your first hobby cnc is where you learn how to build your second cnc. Select components that you could eventually transfer to version 2.

Good luck on your build!!

Very nice workmanship on your machine. You spent considerable effort in the finishing of the MDF parts. Is that satin polyurethane with no stain? Clean looking machine design as well. Congrats.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Quote Originally Posted by CarveOne View Post
    Very nice workmanship on your machine. You spent considerable effort in the finishing of the MDF parts. Is that satin polyurethane with no stain? Clean looking machine design as well. Congrats.

CarveOne
    Thanks!!! About 3 coats of satin polyurethane sanded with 220 between coats...

Quote Originally Posted by Grunblau View Post
    Thanks!!! About 3 coats of satin polyurethane sanded with 220 between coats...
    I thought so. It looked familiar. It's exactly what I did on the two 4'x8' MDF tops of the work tables I recently built for my workshop. Even used the 220 grit sandpaper.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Awsome machine and I love the renders too, such a nice project overall. If you ever decided to release the plans to the public, please let me know as I would love to have a go at building one of these.

Cheers
    Gav

Quote Originally Posted by Grunblau View Post
    I didn't really run into a lot of problems.. One major suggestion I'd have is to go with 1/2" lead screws... I went with 5/8"-8 2 start (4 TPI). There is huge support for 1/2" Like the dumpster nuts etc... not so much for the 5/8".

Start smaller than I did. My thinking was that my gantry would look the same for a 48" table as it would for a 96" table... why save the 20$ in MDF and $50 in lead screw? I am glad I have the working area, but I am already working on revisions and a smaller table design.
    Very impressive! I started planning my own machine recently and was wondering if you are using a 8' lead screw for the length of the table?

If so, where did you get it?

Having the models available at McMaster is great. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLarson View Post
    Very impressive! I started planning my own machine recently and was wondering if you are using a 8' lead screw for the length of the table?

If so, where did you get it?

Having the models available at McMaster is great. Thanks for the info!
    I think the screw is 100" I ordered it from Roton.com. This is also where I picked up all of the nuts etc.. Consider a bit more beefy lead screw for this kind of span, although my 5/8" diameter screw does just fine.

Good luck with your build!