587,524 active members*
3,240 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > New to the trade, need some advice. Shop etiquette.
Page 3 of 3 123
    I can't believe no one asked if she was hot looking.

The shop your working at doesnt sound like a shop its sounds like a hack shop. I wouldnt plan on being there very long for a few reasons.

1 they dont have a qc dept. They might say they don But they don't there is really no such thing as a qc deptment using the same tools to check the same parts. I dont care what anyone says they dont have a REAL qc dept. thats against any and ALL quality control procedures, actually there is no such thing as quality control if you can't control it.

2, in a so called production shop Tits rule the road, I don't care how bad she is your going to have to live with it. she is something too look and in all honesty in all the shops I worked at and done work for I never saw one fire a women no matter how bad they were. Besides it gives people something to look at rather than seieng a bunch of hairybeast burping farting spitting and cussing in the shop.

Belive it or not Women are the best workers for machine shops, you can give them 10,000 pcs to run second op stuff and they will get it done in half the time a male will. guys tend to wonder talking and looking around never paying attention to what they are doing, Women will stay put and get the job done.

When we started our shop back in 1993/94 I was a one man shop, The Warden ( wife) was a waitress. I bought 2 sets of tools one for me for making parts and a separte set for me to check them, however I quickly changed to making the warden check parts before and after her worrk before I shipped them to the customer.
    when we grew and only did areospace work( we did pretty fast) she wrote all the procedure manules for the shop, all the docs paper work etc etc. She actually wrote her own and stuck to it. as owners you werent allowed to check your own parts. so we hires a machinest to be our inspector. he very rarely ran machines. The Warden still checked everyone of his parts before they were shipped yes double the work but with 3 major companies we had "0%" in 5 years. the sixth year The Warden had a baby, I let the inspectore machinest check the parts with out me double checking them. 36 part order I did 4 times a month for 6 years scrapped. The problem was he used his shop tools for the inspection cause they were handy, unfortunatly someone else used his tools also and reset the mic cause it was off .0005.
    that was a 12,000 mistake I will never forget. Customer didnt mind as they knew our history and new we would remake them. I didnt mind the 12k, well I did but stuff happens. what I did mind was that we sent junk still eats me today.

Everyone is right about pointing out that the QC girl should be using seperate equipment to check what you're doing, otherwise it's just a waste of her time and yours. I always stress to people that come to me looking for a tool to borrow that when I go to look for my tool, I like it to be there, if it's not I always end up grumbling n continuing to stress to the person that my tools all have a place and when they aren't there it totally throws off my flow that i've got on a project. Since this thread has gone off on a tangent of tools needed and brands and what not the one tool I can recommend that nobody has mentioned yet is one that I've been using since High School and everybody has always asked to borrowed and said is a great idea is a Clip Board. You spend $0.89 on a clip board and you've just made the best purchase ever. I've seen so many people struggling to write on small lil pads or on a single sheet laid of over a table covered in chips, or just standing at a machine trying to use it as a writing surface, get a clip board and you'll find yourself saving time the first time you write something down on to, also do the doctors office thing of attaching a pencil to it with string. Another thing to consider that you might be able to get your boss to buy as a consumable is Mechanics gloves and latex gloves. I've already gotta wash my hands before I use the restroom as is but I save myself a lot of pain n grief by a pair of gloves. I prefer Permatex, size medium, large really is for large guys. I don't recommend Craftsman because the finger tips are too thin (Suprising cause of my next paragraph). I know it's some badge of honor to have these cut up and calous hands but it's nice when you're with a girl that she isn't grossed out by you because you've got a permanent layer of dirt in your fingertips, plus forcing a chip into your skin when you grab sometihng isn't the most pleasent feeling and you end up wasting a lot of time digging them out. Plus a lot of the time I don't burn my fingers or get them cut up when I'm grinding or wire brushing something, I've even welded in them, but they are defaintely not meant for welding but do hold off the occasional spark.

As for buying tools, my dad has been a mechanic for over 35 years and always taught me, don't buy cheap tools and always use the right tool for the job. $5 extra for the right tool and 5 minutes extra to get the job done right will save you hundreds of dollars and hours of time down the line. People here may knock Craftsman and I can respect that, I'm young and still like to try other brands, but when they suck my dad's Craftsman tools always pull through, and really nothing beats walking in with a broken tool and walking out with a brand new one without any hassle. If you think you're going to have to get an extensive set of tools join the elusive Craftsman Club, not as good as it used to be but sometimes just what you're looking for will be on sale to its members.

Oh yeah and Magnets, Magnets, magnets, I've found more solutions through magnets than the ancients who discovered them could ever have imagined.
    -JWB
    --We Ain't Building Pianos (TCNJ Baja 2008)

[QUOTE=As for buying tools, my dad has been a mechanic for over 35 years and always taught me, don't buy cheap tools and always use the right tool for the job. $5 extra for the right tool and 5 minutes extra to get the job done right will save you hundreds of dollars and hours of time down the line. People here may knock Craftsman and I can respect that, I'm young and still like to try other brands, but when they suck my dad's Craftsman tools always pull through, and really nothing beats walking in with a broken tool and walking out with a brand new one without any hassle. If you think you're going to have to get an extensive set of tools join the elusive Craftsman Club, not as good as it used to be but sometimes just what you're looking for will be on sale to its members.[/QUOTE]

extremely agree with you. But the question is everyone what to cheap, cheap cheap. when they buy home with rubbish, They will complain about the products he buy. It is ridicoulous.
    We make quality caliper, also make cheap one. If something need cheap products, I will give him cheaper. but never give hime quality one.

High quality cheape price is an advertaise coaxing stupid people to buy
    http://www.roktools.com

I have loaned every single machinist tool I own, and it's a very full 11-drawer Kennedy box on top of a very full 7-drawer Kennedy roll-around.

It's at my Dad's house, in his shop. That's it. Payback for all of his tools that I borrowed, stole, lost, and abused when I was a kid. (He's 75 now.) He is the only, last person to whom I will ever loan my tools. And he can lose and/or abuse them with reckless abandon, fair is fair.

I once had a guy who was working on an old cam screw machine ask if he could borrow a screwdriver. I now own an antique 2-piece chisel. Some of my other favorite tools had disappeared from my box when I was a shop supervisor and let a newb use some. It was a locked box thereafter.

When I first started out, I went to Sears & Rubbish and bought a ball pein hammer. Elsewhere I bought a 1" Starrett T230-XRL micrometer, a set of No. 249 punches, a Starrett 6-4R scale, a No.70 scriber, and a Starrett No.827 edge finder. I still have all but the scriber, and that's been replaced with a better one.

Nowadays, most ISO-registered shops won't even let you bring measuring tools of your own. I managed to talk all of them into certifying calibration of my tools, as they were often better than the ones the shop owned. Tough business, this tools thing.

Oh yeah...a calculator: Texas Instruments Ti-30. Best I've ever owned because the batteries would last 5+ years and all the trig functions are there and easy to use.

Page 3 of 3 123