587,175 active members*
3,203 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

HAAS CONTROLLER LAG

I Have an 8 month old Haas VF2 SS and it has the 15" screen on the controller, but i've noticed that during machining the whole controller slows down and the numbers refresh once a second. all of the numbers including spindle and axis loads. it doesnt keep the real time numbers up. After a min the controller seems to catch up to itself and run smoothly. this doesnt effect the accuracy or machining but it's not right and Haas hasnt been able to offer very much help. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and might know what is going on with it.

I noticed this delay when going from the old CRT display to the first LCD displays about seven years ago. The display lag has increased with each vesrion of the LCD display software.

One thing I noticed is that sometimes the display would speed up and it seems to be when a program is getting close to the end. Also it seems to vary depending on whether you have Single Block on or Optional Stop on sometimes.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Hi zero260

You only have a 266 cpu so things won't always be up to speed there bigger new machines horizontals have 2 processors so things are a lot better my be Haas might make this a option for other machines????
    Mactec54

This just can't be I mean the lag is really bad and i cant imagine a machine tool builder making something like this. you have to always be able to see whats going on in real time. if what you say is true I can only say that the control is simple to use but i would never recommend a machine like this to anyone. plus we have already had some other problems with it.

Ours lags when doing 3D tool paths. It's going too fast to follow anyway. It threw me at first too. I'm not sure it's a problem however. Like I said, it's going too fast to follow. When I was doing hand programming I would watch it and sometimes be quick enough to stop it if needed, but now, forget it. Fortunately our cam system posts what it simulates. Woohoo!

THIS CONTROL LAGS UNDER EVERY KIND OF CUT FROM PECK DRILLING TO FACE MILLING TO 3D TOOLPATHS. AND THE NUMBERS REFRESH VERY SLOWLY.

I can see from your caps that you're very frustrated. Sorry, just trying to help.

No i just always have caps on for when im writing notes in programming, I'm not frustrated.

Good to hear. Tell us what you find. Maybe not a lot of memory? Lol. As if I'd know about computers.

i run vf0 and vf2. 8hrs a day and have never once noticed a lag. on occassion the lcd gets a bit fuzzy with heavy face milling, but the numbers are realtime.

Hi zero260

I have not seen any lag are you hand coding or using cam software post some of your code you may have problems in the code that slows it down how much ram do you have
    Mactec54

MY VM-3 doesnt have any lag And I do

complex 3d surfacing....... I run from MEM or run right from hard drive when its

a large program I would be asking for a refund My VM-3 has the old software

and small screen

I have a 08 VF3, running 5 axis daily, up to 5 meg programs, with high speed machining turned on, no lag whats so ever.
    You have a problem with the main board, I told by the HFO tech, all the guts are on the main board nowdays. Get the HFO tech out to your shop, and have them replace the main board while it's still under warranty.
    HAAS VF3-5 axis trunion
    Mastercam X3

The board has already been replaced

Five Times a Second

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO260 View Post
    I Have an 8 month old Haas VF2 SS and it has the 15" screen on the controller, but i've noticed that during machining the whole controller slows down and the numbers refresh once a second. all of the numbers including spindle and axis loads. it doesnt keep the real time numbers up. After a min the controller seems to catch up to itself and run smoothly. this doesnt effect the accuracy or machining but it's not right and Haas hasnt been able to offer very much help. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and might know what is going on with it.
    Generally the screen should refresh about five times a second or 5 Hertz during high speed execution. This is a general statement and very specific things on the display refresh at a different rate depending on the information being displayed. This rate is only for the screen display as many other things on the control are at different cycles. For instance the program execution cycle is at 1 KHz or 1000 times a second.

If you have any more details of what you are doing and what is happening we may be able to get this sorted. Please feel free to email me directly at [email protected]

Yeah I don't know i had the person who sold us the machine come look at it and he said he's never seen that befor, and will look into it so if i get an answer I'll let you know.