587,773 active members*
3,231 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

JoBwan... I know it's been a while since your posting, but I'm due to get a GR-712 in about two months. Sounds like everything went exactly as you'd hope it would. This will be our first chip making machine, we're a Steel service center that focuses on burning, lasers and water jet cutting steel and stainless steel, with some aluminum. I'm really just looking for an update on your machine's performance, what kinds of things have you got yourself into that you didn't expect it would handle??

:stickpoke: PICTURES PICTURES! if possible that is

Quote Originally Posted by u2tree View Post
    JoBwan... I know it's been a while since your posting, but I'm due to get a GR-712 in about two months. Sounds like everything went exactly as you'd hope it would. This will be our first chip making machine, we're a Steel service center that focuses on burning, lasers and water jet cutting steel and stainless steel, with some aluminum. I'm really just looking for an update on your machine's performance, what kinds of things have you got yourself into that you didn't expect it would handle??
    u2tree,
    The main job that surprised us all is a 1/2" x 58" x 81" crs plate. We have supporting blocks strategically placed underneath for drilling a 3/4" hole. Then we spiral mill down thru for a 3" hole with a 3/4" inserted endmill. It then cirlce mills 1/8" doc (twice) for a 1/4" c'bore. There are appx. 4 - 8 holes depending on application from the customer. We have been doing this job for 6 months or so and the machine still holds tolerances like the day we first started it! Hope this helps you!!
    Sorry guys, the Boss won't allow pictures.
    Just a good ol' boy, never meanin' no harm.
    Joe

To you guys with the GR series machines there is one annoying problem I have found. The reflectors for the laser safety zone if they get dirty they don't work so well and you get an open door alarm. This can be caused by a mear bit of coolant residue.
    I have walked away from the machine, left it running to come back an hour latter to see it blinking with feed hold because the coolant splashed the reflector when the gantry moved by it.
    If you get an open door alarm and can't find anything wrong check the lasers, it the green light is out the reflector is most likely dirty.
    As a side note its a funny joke to pull on the new guy as he panics over an open door alarm on a machine with no door
    I'm not lazy..., I'm efficient!
    HAAS GR-408

Exclamation HAAS GR-712

We are considering purchase of a HAAS GR-712 Gantry Router Mill for purpose of cutting both 16ga. - 10 ga aluminum sheet and galv steel sheet.
    Cutting will consist of perimeter patterns and hole drilling .

Also considering the optional Z axis at 24" height.
    Standard 10,000 RPM spindle.

Anticipate cutting feed rates at 100 IPM with 3/8" dia 2 flute mill cutting
    at full sheet metal depths for one pass perimeter cutting. Plan to coolant flood the end mill.

Would appreciate any feedback as to expected machine performace especially
    when cutting the thicker galv steel sheet. I beleive the aluminum sheets should cut fine ...comments ???

I don't have any comments about the GR machines to add to what I have already posted in this thread. But I do have a question: You are working with 16 to 10 ga. material; i.e. your thickest material is around 0.1". Why do you need 24 inches of Z travel?

And actually I do have a(nother) comment/(question). Have you tried machining the galvanized steel with a 3/8 two flute at 100 ipm. My limited experience cutting some 11 ga steel was something of a disaster. The d****d stuff would not cut. Granted I was running a four flute cutter but it built up a huge burr in front of the cutter and the material eventually started to glow red. By slowing things down I managed to finish what I was doing but it was not one of my most efficient operations.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

24" Z axis being considered for future use to machine taller formed parts ( again made from sheet metal raw material ).

However , weighing that need out against the machine's ability to cut my steel sheet product. Thinking the 5000 RPM 20HP higher torque spindle may be the ticket . ( as you give up the 24" Z axis with this 5000 RPM spindle option ).

Any insight as to how the 5000 RPM spindle will then peform on the easier to cut aluminum sheet material ? Or do I need the 10,000 RPM for optimum aluminum cutting ?

If you wanted to poke 1" diameter drills through thick steel plate the 5000rpm high torque spindle may be useful. In my opinion the GR machines, especially with the long Z axis, are not rigid enough to take a big cut in side milling or facing to use the extra torque from this spindle. Also the lower speed would certainly slow down the cutting of thin aluminum sheet.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.