588,551 active members*
5,469 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

CarveOne,
    I think you're on the right track. One thing I'd consider (if you haven't purchased rails already) is splurging for cold rolled steel, even if you have to wait a little longer for it. It is nearly double the price, but the dimensional stability is significantly better, both between pieces and within the same piece. If you've already bought the steel, you'll need to run the carriages back and forth a lot, and then re-tighten after the scaling has worn off. I wouldn't try to sand it off, as you probably won't get it even.

Let's see some pictures and specs on that table! A good base is an important part of a solid machine. I'm always on the prowl for a work table that is widely available for cheap shipping, as 8020 is a bit pricey for something that doesn't move.

Best regards,

Ahren
    www.cncrouterparts.com

Ahren,

I already have the x axis rails but not the gantry rail. The flat stock I got from Fastenal is hot roll flat # 0953294 at http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...ex?sku=0953294 There is no scale on it, just a blue finish with a fine grained surface texture. Most cold rolled round and flat stock I have bought elsewhere has had some scale on it and a gray/black color finish. It also has hard spots in it that HRS does not have. CRS round stock does not turn as well as HRS in my lathe because of the hard spots. I stopped buying CRS round stock for that reason. It's fine for welding projects though.

The work table is home built from very straight 2x4 spruce pine lumber with a 3/4" MDF top. A lower shelf has 1/2" OSB for the shelf. The blocking under the table top is on 16" centers. It is already stiff, but I'm going to add stiffener blocks that will be glued and screwed in place at each of the six 4"x4" legs anyway. I have decided to add additional table top support blocking so there is one every 8" for the x axis rail anchor bolts. No worries about weak table side rails this way, and more anchor points. The table structure is screwed together with 3" deck screws. The work table currently looks like the image below.

The first thing I will add is leveling feet on the bottom of each leg. Then add additional blocking and bracing while the table is inverted on the concrete floor.

CarveOne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010005.JPG  
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com