588,159 active members*
4,687 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: custom gears

custom gears

Hi -
    I own a CNC Mill and a Lathe that is not CNC. I am currently using these to make custom RC parts. I want to make a custom transimission for my RC cars.

Where can i find a tutorial to show me how to cut custom gears for my cars?

I would like to make gears like shown in these photos:

Thanks in advance for the help!
    Please check out my CNC blog
    http://cncinside.com

Most straight cut gears you use a gear tooth profile cutter (this is a horizantal mill or arbour type cutter) and then you need an indexing head to mount your part into. For the helical gears you will need a true 4 axis full motion CNC setup.
    I dont have a tutorial and my search engine works the same as yours.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Yeah - I was searching google when I came accross the website where I pulled those pictures from. How big of difference is it for a 4 axis mill?

Right now I have a 3 axis setup.

Thanks!

May I suggest a copy of "Machinery's Handbook" if you don't already have one. The information on gears and cutting them is invaluable. If I were you and wanted to start into gears, I would pick a spur gear/pitch, work out the equations, buy or make a cutter and then produce one. These are the easiest gears to cut and will give you confidence to try others. That's quite a selection of gears you have there. Scott.

For helical gears, a 4th axis cnc setup will also require some kind of a swivelling head attachment, to set the cutter parallel with the helix.

FYI, you can machine helical gears most easily on a universal horizontal milling machine (a manual mill). What sets this machine apart from regular horizontal mills, is that the table can swivel up to 45 degrees in either direction. However, a universal vertical head can also attain the correct angle, its just a matter of where the cutter is positioned: on top, or on the side of the blank being cut.

If you can find some pics I posted in my gallery on this forum, I show some action photos of the process all set up. You've gotta love gears to do these, though, and I'm talking about the gears that you use to connect the universal dividing head to the table. The table needs to drive the dividing head rotation, so it is very nice to have a power feed on that axis.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Straight groove timing pulleys I have often cut with a couple of slitting saws spaced appropriately on an arbor. It usually works out okay if you cut the opposite sides of adjacent (not the same) teeth (tooth). The exact width of the space is not as critical as you might first assume, because the belt teeth merely need a clear space to fall into. A little bit of corner rounding helps belt life, of course. The pitch diameter of the timing pulley is critical: that would be the top surface of the tooth. If that is machined incorrectly, the belt will want to "climb" all its life. Browning was nice enough to print a big fat book with the correct dimensions in it. Now don't everybody order their gearing catalogue all at once

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

If you are serious about gear making, a hobbing machine is the epitome for this type of work. But, because gear hobs are expensive, and the machine is only good for making any kind of toothed wheel, that's why they are not commonly found in a regular shop. That's not to say that used ones are expensive, though. I've seen some hobbers priced right that tempted me to buy.

Thanks for all the replies -
    As for making my own cutters and stuff. I have no clue what all is involved yet. I ordered a book off EBay. Should be here in a week or two. Hopefully it will give me some insite. Was hoping to find something online to give me a step by step understanding and what all is involved. This is all new to me. Only had the lathe for less than a month now and just got the mill earlier this year.

Any help and info would be appreciated.

Maybe I should not have mentioned making your own cutters. By hand it is entirely hit or miss as far as accuracy is concerned. I am sure there are machines and fixtures but that may not be cost effective depending on your needs. There are ways. I only mentioned this because that is how I started, however..... my gears are for my own purpose and they serve them well. Hobbing machines are nice. I still would suggest beginning with a spur gear to "cut your teeth on" . Scott.

I want to make a custom gear box for a radio control car. I want to cut custom gear for it.

Problem is - I do not know what tools I need or how to do any of the work required. I made this post hoping someone would post a link to a tutorial. I do not know where to begin. Figure other people make them for different projects, I should be able to figure this out.

The book I ordered off EBay is: Gear Wheels and Gear Cutting How to Book
    Chapters Include:
    First Principles Explained
    Proportion and Form of Teeth of Gear Wheels
    Lantern or Pin Wheels and Racks
    Bevel Gears
    Worm Gears
    Helical Gears - Spiral Gears - Chain Gearing - Epicyclic Gears - Special Form of Gear Wheels
    Definitions and Calculations for gear Cutting
    Gear Cutting on Milling Machines
    Cutting Spur Gears in the Lathe
    Gear Generating Methods

Hopefully it will be enough to get me started.

Put it this way, some gears are within grasp without a lot of trouble. But many different machines exist to deal with complexities of each type of gear. Bevel gears are difficult to cut properly on anything but a gear shaper.

I've picked up what I know from various machine shop study texts. Most likely, that book you have ordered will give you a good start in the information department.

You can easily spend a lot of $$ getting set up just to cut one type of gear, let alone all types.

For the hobbyist, you might check a source like Sterling Instrument for gears for your rc car.

Gear cutting can be a mystery when you first start out but you will find it is like any other machining operation. I will include some helpful links. First here is a picture of cutting a spur gear on my lathe. The index gear on the end came from my lathe. The only accurate gear you can cut this way is a spur. Scott.

Gear Forum
    http://www.communitypc.com/wwwboard/wwwboard.html

Bevel:
    http://members.cruzio.com/~lehrian/B...ocs/index.html

Worm Gears:
    http://bedair.org/Worm/Worm.html

Hope this helps. Scott.

Thanks for the links and the replies I will check the out. I am having trouble with my internet connection. Sometimes things are getting real slow or can not pull up this website for some reason.

Here is a picture of what I want to be able to make.
    http://www2.gpmd.com/image/a/ascc5294.jpg

Problem is, the sizes I need they do not make. I am not worried about many different kinds, just different # of teeth. And need a nice fine mesh where I can make small gears for RC cars and buggies. I am hoping it won't be to much of an investment for the tools needed for the mill/lathe to cut these. Would prefer to be able to do it on the lathe. It is something I would use a lot once I figure it out. I have designed my own gear box and shaft for my car. But can not buy the correct gears to fit my drive shaft. They are not made. So want to make my own.

Thanks!

Studysession,
    I would love to look at the link you gave us, but it tells me
    "Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /image/a/ascc5294.jpg on this server."

Darn:{(

Bubba

It works for me - I attached the gear to this post. I want to make a shaft that has gear teeth like the one shown here. Does that make sense?

Like have a drive shaft with the gear built into the shaft. Then make a pinion with same gear pitch to attach to the motor on the car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ascc5294.jpg  

Studysession,
    Well, IF it were me trying to do this, I would set up a 4 axis machine using a rotary table in the verticle position parallel to the X axis (so I had room for a setup), and then put the appropriate cutter in the mill spindle and cut one tooth profile. Index the rotary table the proper amount and repeat as necessary.

It appears from your picture that this a straight spur gear. You will need a cutter (either bought or home made) with the proper profile. Be aware that the cutter needs to be sized for:
    Pitch of the gear
    No. of teeth to be cut (each cutter will only cut a certain range of teeth)

I have seen sites on the web that tell you about ways to make your own cutters (either the round type [kind of like saw in shape] or a fly cutter type. Or, you can buy them from places like MSC McMaster etc.

BUT, if you are talking about a hi reving system (eg gas power), not only should you be accurate in the machining you also have to worry about the balance of the gears.
    The gear in the picture appears to be either cast or molded and if this thing is spinning at several thousand rpm, it would probably shake like crazy!

Just some points to ponder?

Bubba

Gear in the picture is a hard plastic and holds up to 40 - 50 thousand RPM's with no worries. With the car I am building it will be spinning at much higher RPM's. Accuracy is a must.

I used the picture to show an example for the teeth. I want to make a drive shaft with the gear embeded in it. I want to make a shaft with a gear similar to in the picture as part of the shaft. I can not buy something off the shelf to provide me the gear ratios that I need/want for this project. Also the stor bought gears are not strong enough for the torque I am pushing through them.

So my idea was to design my own drive shaft for the car that has the gears made as part of the drive shaft. (Hope that makes sense)

I have been looking at sites that show people making gears for clocks. The gears I want to cut as part of the drive shaft look like some of the gears made for clocks. I am hoping the book I ordered off EBay explains thing well enough for me to understand and do this. If not, it will at least be a good learning experience for me.

Many thanks!

You would probably have to turn down the diameter of your driveshaft from stock as big as the outside diameter of your spur gear, I have never heard of this being done but then I have never heard of a lot of things. Can you not use a gear with a hub and set screw or at the very least braze or tig weld your gear to the shaft? Pinning might be a possibility. I cannot imagine much torque? If you make a gear as you describe, I would be very interested in seeing a picture. Scott.

This is for an RC car project. The motors I am using are custom made by the manufactures for my project. Anything that I did not JB weld to the shaft gets ripped off the shaft when I go to take off. Not only that some of my gear ratios that I want to do just are not possible.

So I have ordered a couple of books, and looked at a hobbing machine. Not to sure about the machine though. Need to learn more even though the machine comes highly reccomended. I am determined to do this and get this done.

I am sponsored by a few RC brushless motor and ESC manufactures and they are helping me with a project I am working on. I am at a point that any off the shelf gearing will not work (Or at least not cleanly). Having to JB weld gears to get the to hold, sometimes the past of the JB weld is not even when you slide the gear over it and makes it a bit off ballance. So strips and then have to do over. I need something that is done and done well and ballanced.

It is very important to me. Who knows. I may get these books and start trying to set things up to do and find out I just can not do it myself. But I am learning and I will try and do it. Hopefully I am successful.

Thanks for all the advice and replies. I greatly appreciate it.