587,809 active members*
3,078 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question G-Code "Bible"

Hello!

I'm in the process of training some new people to run a Shop Sabre & Frog Mill and even though I've been working with G-code for years I'm looking to expand my knowledge in the language and also looking to try and create a GOOD hand book for my trainee's and was looking for some help. There are so many different "G-CODE Dictionaries" I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of the most comprehensive compilation of G-Code commands.

Thanks so Much!!

I would call Peter Smid's 'CNC Programming Handbook' the Bible.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Handbook-Third-Peter-Smid/dp/0831133473/"]http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Handbook-Third-Peter-Smid/dp/0831133473/[/ame]

Paul

I would also make sure your students are fully aware that G code isn't set in stone either. Although for the most part, there is a broad and comman usage of much of the code (for ex: I've never seen "G0" to mean anything else but RAPID), simply following the EIA standard or the ISO standard means little in reality.

Comprehensive list? Only thing that would be close is from G0 - G99. Beyond that, it really becomes free game. Even with that, there are control builders and MTBs that change the code within that range to mean or do something different.

The only "for sure" list of codes for any specific machine is the MTBs programming book and g code list. Be sure to teach them to always reference this prior to programming/operating the machine.
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

Quote Originally Posted by psychomill View Post
    I would also make sure your students are fully aware that G code isn't set in stone either.....

.......Comprehensive list? Only thing that would be close is from G0 - G99. Beyond that, it really becomes free game.....
    This is so correct and frustrating. Work from the different G-Code Dictionaries you mention and compile your own list of the differences.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Thank you very much for your help and direction. It was nice to get the reminder that G-code is what you make of it. It really is just an outline to get you started from there it is all up to each one of us to make it into what we need for the job that is at hand. Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated. I'll take all the help I can get!!!

Thanks Again!

For your trainees I'd stick to a list of codes that are machine specific that are commonly used in the programs you run.

What I've done to train operators that have basic skills is to take a program that runs on one of our Fanuc machines and add comments to all the lines. I took the same program and converted it to run on the OSP controls and commented it. I included at the begining a very basic glossary of all the terms used in the comments; Reference Planes, Work Offset Coordinates, G81 and it's addresses defined, G84 and it's addresses etc, very basic but every commented term can be looked up in a glossary. With the working definitions and the commented programs they can define each line they are reading. I stayed basic with it, four pages of programming for two controls and two pages of glossary, but it allows them to read ahead and proof a setup with established programs. If they want to go further than that then tech school or as pdoherty said Peter Smid writes some pretty good books.

As far as what psychomil said take a look at the example below.
    OSP P200M(ill) control
    G98 = Spindle Oil Mist for near dry machining
    G71 = Set Reference plane return when M53 is read in a canned cycle. Similar to Fanuc G98
    G54 - G59 =Tool comp x;y;z;4th axis;5th;6th so instead of a G43 you use a G56.
    G15Hnnn (001-999) = Select Work coordinates system, 1000 standard (eat your heart out Fanuc!)
    Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

Smile Good Advice

Thanks. That is a great Idea. That way I don't overwhelm them with information that isn't nessasary at this time for them. And you are right if they want to know more they will either let me know or start doing their own homework to find more out.

Thanks Again!