Quote Originally Posted by TMaster View Post
Sounds like you may not have a binding issue, since your problem is off and on.

Could be:
what line of code is it failing on? Or is it rapid? make sure your radius' are more then the tooling radius. I had this problem when I first started machining. Example: radius of 2mm(4mmOD) used with a 4mm OD endmill when backlash is enabled will cause the stepper to stall. I mentioned this to a guy at makers of mach2,3 and he said he would look into it, but that was over a year or so ago. I've had no problems since I corrected this area.

Also try setting your rapid movement less then 25ipm. I found that durring code the steppers would rise 5 to 7ipm over what it was set for. Jogging was fine i stayed at what it was. I run 22ipm for the max rapid now. A dampener may help out with that problem But i have yet to make them.

It seems to fail at a certain point most of the time, I don't know if it's in a rapid or what. It will cut the first layer just fine, and I say Layer because this is a small pocket with a 2.78 mm cutter with a doc of .70 mm and IPM at 7. And it total depth of cut is about 3 mm, so usually the first layer is fine. Then it seems to gain steps in the positive y direction. It will cut the 2nd layer higher, the third and so. So it looks like there are steps in the material. Why it does this on and off? I have no idea...

You mentioned the whole radius thing. I think i'm fine in that department. But just for the sake. I am going to lower my stepover rate because this was a new file I had to replicate, so maybe my parameters are a little off. And maybe by lowering the stepover rate, I won't be pushing the steppers to hard. EVEN THOUGH, It's more then capable of running at these numbers. I have cut deeper, faster in the past and no problems. But I am going to give it a try.

My Rapids are less then 25, 24 ipm I believe. I made dampers, there not on right now. But it just seems all so odd to me for months and months and months I ran these programs and never ever ever dealt with an issue. I once tuned the machined after things were going south and it's been trouble since.

I have tuned the machine, tested for slop, tightness etc. I have spent a long time checking everything on the y axis. Turning the leadscrew by hand, with the stepper on and off. I can turn it by hand etc, I feel no "sticky" spots or anything.

I am going to, if my tests fail now with a swapped motor on the y-axis (stepper taken from x-axis) swap out the y axis controller in the 540 and replace it with a spare.

I'm looking for two things right now that would kidna make me happy, but still be a bummer. I would like to see the x-axis fail and skip steps; This would then focus the problem on the wiring/stepper motor. Or I would like to see it cut the tests fine over and over. If not, I am going to swap the board in the 540.

I have the new computer, so I feel comfortable there. Lets hope for the best, maybe Nick will come around and see this.

Oh and on the x-axis and Y-axis. I have .003 backlash. Not bad at all. I could get it lower, but won't bother until I fix these problems.

-Jason