587,998 active members*
1,458 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Welding Brazing Soldering Sealing > Considering Ramsond Super 200P TIG/Plasma Inverter

Hybrid View

Thats the sort of story that put me off buying a cheap inverter..

Angry It get's worse......

The out-of-the-box quality has been absolutely terrible:

1) The TIG torch would attach. But, I couldn't get the MMA nor the ground clamp to twist into the connectors on the front of the machine. After comparing the dimensions of the TIG connector to the MMA and ground connectors, I found that the MMA and ground where larger than the TIG. I called tech support and explained that they were obviously machined/dimensioned incorrectly. I shaved 0.015" off of the bronze indexing tabs of the MMA and ground clamp male fittings (so they were the same dimensions as the TIG torch). They still wouldn't fit! Their tech support recommended that I shave 1/16" off the rubber off of the handles. I literally had to grind rubber off of the back of the connectors before they would seat and twist!

2) Called tech support today to discuss the lack of high-frequency (in any mode) and the lack of plasma stream from the plasma function. They recommended I open the machine and adjust the spark-gap on the HF board. Thank goodness I have a background in electronics (because if I hadn't, he would have been speaking greek). Truthfully, I wasn't so comfortable reaching into the machine (energized or not), but I got brave and adjusted the spark-gap on the HF until they were "close enough" to create a spark in the gap. STILL NO HF or plasma stream at the "working end"!!

3) They ship the unit with a gas pressure regulator which mounts on the rear. When the gas solenoid closes (to stop the flow of air/argon to the torch), the purge valve on the bottom of the regulator pops open and free-flows argon/compressed air (that's just plain stupid). The only way for me to stop this from happening was to weight-down the purge valve with a pair of vice-grips. Seriously!

4) The cleaning action in AC Tig mode appears to suck. I am a novice, but the surface of the weld ends up dull. Pretty sure that ain't quite right.

Oh well, I am going to try to get an RMA and a refund. Lesson learned.

-Marc