587,801 active members*
3,436 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

EZ router help needed

hello guys,.. we have a 5x10 E-Z router cnc plasma table running a hypertherm1650, using sheetcam/ mach3 software. we have had this machine for far too long without being able to use it to its full potential. we have had some pretty decent help tech wise back and forth with e-z router, but in the end we are tired of the back and forth calls and waiting to be called back, and JUST WANT THE MACHINE TO WORK 100% ITS POTENTIAL
    we have dealt with multiple THC problems, and seem to have gotten that behind us, as well as some other petty non-communication problems between the PC and the table. now our problems seem to be in final stages.
    So hopefully we can get some help from you guys with our problems as follows,....

-with brand new tips in our machine head torch, it doesnt seem as tho the table cuts clean in 1/8 guage or smaller (even with fine head tips) seem to do decent cuts in 1/4 and 3/ 16's inch. but suffers badly on smaller guages.

-circles, or round cuts are very poorly cut as well

-lead ins cut in too far

-tapered edges on cuts, seems to do it on smaller guage material

we'll start with that,... hopefully we can get some help from you guys, thank you in advance

Jason/ Mark @
    -Empire Customs Inc

heres some pics of our problems,.. as you can see the cuts are just not very clean, its like the machine is not consistant on smaller pieces.

if we cut 3/16 or 1/4 " its cuts considerably better and straighter, but still has a tapered cut, even tho the tip/ diode is brand new, and the torch head is perfectly straight.

heres is a sample of the sloppy holes

here you can see how unclean it cut the top of this cadillac crest

here is an example of my lead in problems

and here you can see how with a fine cut tip, lowered voltage and dropped air pressure, it just murders 16 guage sheet steel

can anyone help????

Just a ?, could it be the lead-out causing the problem?

I don't run a plasma (I did stay @ a Holiday Inn, once ), have you tried moving both the lead-in/out further away from the finished cut, working with sheetcam?

Can you post a photo & the g-code of a part with the same problems as the above photos you already posted, it might help to see what the g-code is doing?

Free DXF - vectorink.com

Here are some suggestions.

1. Make sure your table is square
    2. Check for mechanical slop in the machine(aka backlash)
    3. Make sure your torch is square to the work piece.
    4.If you are running Mach 3 software make sure you are running in constant velocity mode with the backlash setting disabled.
    5. Make sure you have a clean dry air supply
    6. Did you try cutting with out the torch height control disabled to try and narrow the problem down.
    7. Watch the the way the torch height moves on the screen when it is cutting.I have heard of the torch going up and down erratically due to electrical noise in the system.Ground the table to a separate earth ground.
    8. Check for poor artwork.If you are using corel draw and cutting in dxf format the artwork will have large line segments and that = poor,choppy plasma cutting.Corel draw has poor dxf exporter.The smoother the artwork the better the cut.

Lastly I know ez router has a good reputation.If you are cutting with an air plasma system do not expect to have clean round small holes.Typically 1/2 inch and up should be good holes with proper lead ins, lead outs and
    proper cut speeds.A hint either cut holes without the THC enabled or in mach 3 use the anti dive and thc together.Hope this helps some

You say that thicker material cuts a little better.Definetly check for slop in the machine.The reason I say that is because the thinner material your going to cut, the faster the speeds and the faster the machine is making direction changes the more backlash becomes an issue.I am pretty sure the ez router runs belts so check them first.

What are the holes .25 to .3125, if so they look pretty good. Agree with Disconnected, a good ground is a must not only at the table via 8' ground rod and also at the plasma system. Also make sure your PC is not close to the Plasma. I have an EZ router also, as with every table out there, no 2 are alike or have everything we want. Really comes down to time on the keyboard. Make sure you record every change you make. Also every piece of materiel is different, annealing, thickness variations, etc. Plasma is not a science it's an adventure. Water table maybe for thinner materials? You change you leads in SheetCAM, start points. Remember the hypertherm settings are just a guideline, check CV setting, THC settings, etc. Don't afraid to play with them. Lots of great info also on MACH and SheetCAM forums on Yahoo also.
    Chip Coale