587,256 active members*
3,058 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Coolant Draining

On our VF-2ss, the coolant drain will clog with chips, create a swimming pool, and starve the pump. I did a brief search on this forum for this and found a rotating sweep thing that kept the drain holes clear using the auger to power it. Pretty cool. But I was wondering if anybody has tried drilling holes in the auger pan above the coolant pan. My thinking is that the auger itself would keep the holes clear. Has anybody tried this?

Yes I've done this on my VF-3. Just drilled 3-4 extra holes in the auger trough, drains coolant much faster. Works well, go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 79Jimmy View Post
    Yes I've done this on my VF-3. Just drilled 3-4 extra holes in the auger trough, drains coolant much faster. Works well, go for it.
    Then it must depend on what and how you're cutting. Whatever size the stock holes are, I put 10 more holes in mine and it doesn't work worth a damn.

Just get the chip sweeper. $175 will pay for itself quickly. Especially if you have to put a dollar in a jar everytime you cuss.

I think I'll try to talk my boss into letting me drill the holes. It's cheap with no seen down side and so is worth a shot. Besides, cussing is free in our shop.
    Thanks for the answers
    Chris

I am using the rotating device you are talking about and it works great! I highly recommend it. Drilling more or bigger holes will not solve your problem they will just become plugged with chips.

The new haas machines have the holes drilled in the auger and we have problems with the chips getting in to the coolant tank the auger pushes them through the holes. we ended up welding all the holes shut and drilling bigger holes to the front of the chip auger and installed a dryer vent over them facing towards the auger and put a screen over the opening and works great.

My VF3 that I bought used, has about 17 rows with 8 or 9 drain holes per row. I have no idea if this was the original pattern or not. When I notice a lake forming, I run the chip auger for a few seconds. This is likely necessary anyways, otherwise the lake will form on the other side of the machine eventually. I think you can program the auger to run, but I have never resorted to that yet.

Yes, chips do get through to the first stage catch basin in the chip pan. I use a piece of window screen (doubled over) to keep most of the chips from washing through the slots in the basin. Only the really fine stuff gets through and settles out in the main reservoir.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)