587,997 active members*
1,952 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Need some guidence with 6t on a Miyano Lathe

Need some guidence with 6t on a Miyano Lathe

Ok, I have run Matsuura Mills with yasnac controlls. When you wanna go to MDI mode, you simply turn the dial to MDI, then you can type a line then it insert, and when you are done with the line you hit EOB, or end of line to go to the next line when writing a simple program like homing the machine.

Now with this 6t fanuc controll, when I go to MDI, and I try to type something and then insert, it never inserts it and just stays on the bottom of the screen. Is there a paramater that is not set right? The machine lock is not on as far as I know.

Also, when interfacing with the RS232 port on my matsuura. When I am ready to send a program from my PC to the CNC, I simply go to EDIT mode, then Program Page, then hit IN, and it waits for me to send it from my PC, then I hit send on my PC.

With the fanuc does it work the same way or?

Thanks for your help guys!

MDI Commands:
    1.MDI mode
    2. Press COMMAND
    3. Type M03
    4. Press INPUT
    5. Type S300
    6. Press INPUT
    7. Press CYCLE Start or OUTPUT START

RS-232
    PC to NC
    1. EDIT Mode (program protect must be off to enable editing of programs)
    2. Press PROGRAM
    3. Press READ (you can type the program number; example O0001; before you press READ
    4. EDIT flashes if comms is working

Press PUNCH if you need to send the program.

RS-232 will not work if parameter 2 bit 5 = 0 or if Reader Puncher card is not mounted on the master PCB.

Ok, THANKS!

Ok, I tried to send the program from mastercam, I have the jumpers and send, recive lines correct I belive. When I go to edit, then read, and send the program it errors out and says RS232C code 085. Could it be that the BAUD rate is not set correctly in the paramater page? Does anyone have a list of the baud rates and what parameter line they are on so I can verrify?

Buffer overrun, do you have the S/W set up for XON/XOFF?
    Also check the hardware handshake lines, are you using a 3 wire cable?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Ok, it looks like my parameter 311=00101000

Parm340=2
    parm341=2

on my setting page TVcheck=0
    Punch Code=1
    Imput device 1=1
    imput device2=1

Does this help figure out our probelm?

Searching I found I have a 6tb controll, and for a 4800 baud I need 311 parm to be 11001001?

if so I cannot seem to edit param 311 how do I scroll over to the right to change it?

Also my cable is made like this:

Pins
    1= sig ground
    2=send
    3=recive
    4, 5 jumpered

6, 8, 20 jumpered

7=frame ground.

Is this correct?

Yep. Set parameter 311 to 11001001 Set your DNC software to send at 4800 baud, 1 stop-bit, 7 data bits, Even parity, and Xon/Xoff handshaking.

To change a parameter on the system 6, find the toggle switch labeled "Parameter Write/Enable" on the main circuit board. Turn that switch on, and you'll get an alarm #100 (this is normal). Press the PARAM key and page or cursor to parameter 311. Select MDI mode, press the letter "P", then the entire 8 bits, then press INPUT. Turn off the Parameter write/enable switch, then press RESET to clear the alarm.

Your cable looks OK. There are several configurations that will work with the system 6. You'll definitely need that jumper from pin 6 to pin 8 to pin 20. I like to connect pin 5 from the Fanuc to pin 7 on the PC (the 9-pin plug). This prevents the Fanuc from sending data if the PC isn't ready to receive.

Carefull with your cable:
    1 = Frame ground (Connect the shield of the cable here or on the metal housing of the connector body)
    7 = Signal ground (The 0V reference around which the signal "swings")

Remeber that:
    25pin(PC) 25pin(CNC)
    2 < ---------> 3
    3 < ---------> 2

9pin (PC) 25pin(CNC)
    2 < ----------> 2
    3 < ----------> 3

You can also change the Baud rate to 1200 (DC1 to DC4 not required) if you are OK with waiting a little bit longer for the program to transfer.
    Handshaking becomes effective for 2400 and higher Baud rates.

For alarm 085 it is important that the parity, character and stop bits also match the host device.

Does anyone have a list of the different baud rates, on what to set the parameter 311 to?

I belive my matsuura is setup for 2400 and I would rather keep both machines the same so I dont have to switch mastercam each time I send to a different machine. Plus it is on a 100 foot cable, and I dont know if I can go any faster than 2400 as I might start loosing data during transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by blakemachine View Post
    Does anyone have a list of the different baud rates, on what to set the parameter 311 to?
    Does this help?

http://picasaweb.google.com/salmve/Nakamura#

Vekku

Ok, I checked my mastercam sending configurations. Looks like I am at 1200 baud rate, data bits=7 stop bits=2 with a even parity. So what settings on the fanuc controll do I set to to match up with these mastercam settings?

Ok, great news!

Got the PC to talk to the CNC. Set parameter 311 to 00100111 for a 1200 baud rate, and works good.

Thanks guys so much!

Ok, now for the newbie Lathe operator help!

Ok, in MDI mode I still cannot input a simple program. HRH says to switch to MDI mode, then press command. That brings me to a whole different page on it. But it still does not let me imput any codes in it.

When I go to start the program that I sent from the PC it errors out after I push cycle start with an alarm 048 "ref rtrn" Any help here?

I don't know what to tell you to do for getting MDI to properly work as I have not worked on a 6T control.

Your machine needs to be zero returned (reference home). This is typical for some machines at power up. You need to move your XZ off of the home swithches about an inch. This is usually in the negative direction. Then you should have a zero return or home mode on your control that you activate. Then proceed to move the axis back towards home. Hold the buttons in until the machine stops moving in that direction.

Stevo

Ok, figured out the MDI deal, you have to scroll to the next page on the command pages.

Man this contoll seems to work totally different. Can I just use a g28 x0, z0, to home the machine?

First thing is G28 is a “reference point return” command. Right now your machine has no reference IOW it does not know where it is at. So programming a G28X0Z0 will send the machine to wherever. This is why the machine is giving you the alarm.

Second thing a G28 with a XZ move will move in relation to home position X0Z0. This is a problem if your home is setup to the chuck face and chuck centerline. On lathes it is best to do either a G28U0W0 which is incremental for X&Z(this is what I prefer). Or if you choose to use the X&Z you have to put a G53 in the line. G53G28X0Z0.

Stevo

Do you have to have the Z and X in a certain position? I tried G28 U0 W0 and it rapids and errors out because of over travel. I dont know if I have sticky switches or? And when it errors out, it shuts of the hydro pump and I cannot get it to turn back on so I can manually move the x and z away from the over travel switches, so it is now basicly stuck unless I move the axis by hand on the lead screw, sorta a pain. Thanks.

Sorry I have not got back to you earlier.

Are you in a “hard” overtravel state or a “soft” overtravel state? If your machine was not reference returned and you program a G28U0W0 your machine will overtravel. Doing a reference return sets your overtravel limits after power on.

If you are in a “hard” overtravel state there should be an “OT” release button that you must hold in while moving the axis via hand wheel or jog in the opposite direction of the overtravel. Your alarm should then clear with the reset button. If you are in a “soft” overtravel state you should be able to do the same as above except you won’t have to hold the “OT” release button.

Now if your machine was properly referenced and you program a G28U0W0 and the machine “soft” overtravels then you will have to adjust your “soft” limits to be past your home position(usually .100”). This is done via parameter adjustment.

Stevo