587,832 active members*
3,591 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Shopsabre > Controller more bugs than an old dog
Page 2 of 2 12
    i have sent you an pm
    James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

i need to go out i sent a pm for an email as i cannot post file here will be back later

jim

how you comming on the tool set, the button and it's location in the wincnc scrn ini eluded me butr i can reach the fellow who wroye it if you need me to

jim

It is going to take awhile. My son works at a robotics company designing these types of things, and he is helping me look into it. The material you sent was very helpful and offers some great ideas on how to get there. When we come up with something, I will post the solution.

z axis crashing into spoilboard

Hi,
    I don't know if you have resolved the problem yet, but thought I would put in my two cents.
    I had the exact same problem with my ss. Took awhile to track down but it was a wire on the controller card that had come un-soldered. Hope this helps.

Jon

Replace the controller

Thanks for your input I will take a look at the control cards today.

If I can't cure this soon I am going to replace the Win controller. The thing has never worked right and I am ready to use this otherwise wonderful machine.

I have looked at Flashcut, Camsoft and Mach2/3. The Flashcut and Camsoft both claim they don't have the same problems as Wincnc because they do not rely on windows for control accuracy. They both claim that the associated harware that comes with them is somehow isolated from windows.
    The cards they come with appear to be nothing more than control and breakout boards at an exagerated price very similar to what Win offers. The Mach comes with no boards but high quality control and breakout boards can be purchased from CNC4PC or some other store.

The thing I like about Flashcut is the software program but the signal generator looks like an overpiced control board. The other concern with Flashcut is they don't retutn e-mail or phone calls concerning product info, I can only guess that their support would be a when and if we want to basis.

Camsoft is very exensive but also is a nice program they are very responsive.

Win is out for the buck if you buy from them you get 30 days support after that get your wallet out. It takes 30 days to get up to speed and really figure out if any support is needed. Thanks for the support Wincnc.

I like the Win program well enough, although making screen adjustments is more complicated than it needs to be and the viewer screen is clumsy and limited.

What is the red interface board that Win offers on their website for $490 it looks like a $150 breakoutboard.

The control hardware supplied by Shopsabre is good equipment their choice of Wincnc to run it is unfortunate.

Enough ranting. Anybody with controller repacement experiecnce or suggestions?

Thanks,

Joe Ddog

that is too bad

i have the new and old boards, two machines with wincnc, and a great relationship with the machine provider, wincnc is not a second rate controller by any standard and support for me has been first rate. it is not an easy or simple controller at least untill i learned it, but this has been true of all my machinery. have you had the machine since 2006

wincnc can be tuned and serviced on line as we do all the time, recently i spent a couple of weeks working with a fellow in fla who finally realized he had his w and z wired as each other, it was not untill i finally got him to purchase a web cam that we figgured it out, as i understand it you are having a z problem not x and y, earlier in this thread i read that shopsabre support was good for you, they know the deal on this, there is somthing bigger wrong here than the controller,

i have the new wincnc board and so far it is worth every penny, it is all about relays and atc as well as vacuum and operation, it i had a single head machine with no vacuum it might be somthing i could live with out.

as far as support the machine builder should be able to take care of this, recently we had a major drive problem but wincnc worked hard and daily with myself and 11 other machine owners to ensure it was not the controller but kelly at wincnc did not quit or pass the buck on any thing, i have had to learn the controller and the software of my cnc's

i sure hope you find your problem before you go down the controller road,

jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3221.JPG   IMG_3298-2.JPG   IMG_3303.JPG  

Thanks Jim, I agree Win is a good program when it works right and is not difficult to run once you learn it. Unfortunately their support is only good for 30 days beyond purchase date. I think one year is more appropriate, you can hardly learn a program in 30 days. I have talked to Kelly too he is very polite and helpful but can only hint at what might be the problem unless a contract is purchased. If Shopsabre cannot figure this out I am going to see if Win is willing to do a contract on a contigency basis. I am willing to pay for a contract if they are willing to waive the fee if they cannot fix the problem.
    Even if they discover its not in the software, it should not take long and I will still pay them for their service. What is not acceptable is a no progress report and a full contract bill.

If this all works out I will consider using Win on my Multicam retro. I would still like to know why Camsoft and Flashcut consider themselves to be safer from the glitches of Windows than Wincnc is. Do you happen to know or is this all hype and they are all suseptible to a windows goof up. I also would like to know is Mach 2 as good as the higher priced software programs, it sure is popular and capable.

Nothing against Win but I cannot say my experience has been good so far and there are several other good progarams out there.

All the Best

Joe Ddog

in the next few days lets look at what the problem is, i know a couple of dozen end users of win cnc and glitches are not a problem. i am watching the oscars. lets figure this out

jim

fixed for know

Hello, The z problem is fixed for now and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The g37cal and the g37z had to be adjusted that appears to be the reason the soft limits were always interfering with the tool touch, they were not turning off when the g37 command was called. There were also some other tweaks done to the soft boundries and limits.

The support from Shopsabre was prompt and professional, the tech who figured it out is a Wincnc alumni who has been with Shopsabre for a year or so. It took him about five minutes to figure it out. I'm glad he works for Shopsabre now. When he worked for Win they used have a forum on their site that customers wouldn seek advice on. About once a week he would answer any ongoing questions.

Ah those were the days. If Win still did this it would cost them very little and improve their product. They would get first hand feedback and earn goodwill as well as learn some of the things they need to do to strengthen there program.

I think they view cnczone as their customer support, they should pay the zone and Jim a fee for all the fixs they do for them.

Well I hope that this bug is exterminated.

Thanks Shopsabre, and Zone heads for all your suggestions they all helped.

Joe Ddog

excellent !

i am a fan of wincnc and learning it was a fluke, we had a bigtime z step loss problem and went in every direction but the driver, in that process wincnc was considered to be the culprit but in the end it was not. wincnc will support the software but only thru the oem manufacturer's i can somewhat understand this as i have found the application issues are best dealt with between the end user and the builder of the machine. i am now learning more about the use of the preset home positions and know of someone who is writing an application and use guide. hopefully we will hear more and more about this

i am glad to hear your machine is cuttin, that is one safe feeling!

ps, if you get a good ini file save it in a safe place!

jim

Page 2 of 2 12