587,524 active members*
3,427 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Unhappy

Sorry Dave my attention span is limited, answering questions and working on designs at the same time produces short answers.

Maybe some of the other Zone members will chime in with there experiences.

Jeff...

I was looking at this tool and the price put me off. If you are interested in making one for yourself, check out Model Engineers' Workshop from June 2007. There is a set of plans in there for making a spring loaded engraver.

I still haven't had a chance to make it, but it looks perfect for this sort of work. And the best part is that even with buying the back issue, it won't cost nearly $300.

~Chris

I bit the bullet and ordered one it arrive on monday Its built really well

Quote Originally Posted by gunlocators View Post
    I bit the bullet and ordered one it arrive on monday Its built really well

Excellent, maybe you could give us a report and possibly some pics of your work?

Did you buy the plastic and aluminum depth controlling nose pieces?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave->..

I bought just the aluminum I have some delrin I am going to try to dulicate it on my small lathe ... Could not see spending $45 on delrin It was hard egnough to spend it on the aluminum one

Can't say that I blame you-

Dave
    Dave->..

I can not comprehend what makes these spring loaded engravers worth so much. Gunlocators, since you bought one, is there anything about them that would make you justify the cost? Perhaps I am oversimplifying this engraver, but I built a spring loaded unit not too long ago and it has served me well and it did not cost me anywhere near $300 !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails engraving holder 003.jpg   engraving holder 004.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by jacmarhal View Post
    I can not comprehend what makes these spring loaded engravers worth so much. Gunlocators, since you bought one, is there anything about them that would make you justify the cost? Perhaps I am oversimplifying this engraver, but I built a spring loaded unit not too long ago and it has served me well and it did not cost me anywhere near $300 !
    I probably could have made it on my mini lathe but not sure if the runout would be too bad. I did get a local quote from 3 machine shops they wanted to rape me $475 to 900.00 I probably could have done it on my lathe like i said run out was a concern so not too sure it would have been a good idea. Also recovering from broke leg and detached ACL so it was worth it not standing out in the shop all day. Otherwise yes its very high dollar I have t say the quality is good. $300 good well thats debatable.

Smile

There is a lot of self satisfaction building your own tools however there may be a larger cost involved in doing so.

Sometimes they work the first time using them and sometimes there is troubleshooting or diagnosing when they don't.

There are times when purchasing a tool and immediately putting it to work makes good sense because it starts turning a profit as soon as it starts turning.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Jeff I cannot argue that point in my case I think I made a wise choice plus I get almost instant gratification. Now just waiting my Replacement Gecko 540 Rev 4 it will be here by FedEx tuesday and i will see If I can get this pup to cut and engrave

I also bought some various bit one is diamond tip for glass and such

There is a lot of self satisfaction building your own tools however there may be a larger cost involved in doing so.

Sometimes they work the first time using them and sometimes there is troubleshooting or diagnosing when they don't.

There are times when purchasing a tool and immediately putting it to work makes good sense because it starts turning a profit as soon as it starts turning.

Jeff...

Well, yes, if you consider this purchase as a purely business oriented acquisition. What makes this hobby (machining) so gratifying is not only the challenges, but also the satisfaction of overcoming those challenges and knowing that you have designed, manufactured and used a piece of equipment that one would otherwise have to purchase or have someone else build. I, for one, am not in this for profit (although the thought has crossed my mind) but for the pure satisfaction, aggravation, challenge, cost saving, skill enhancing experience that this hobby has given me.

rotary engraving with taig

This is my first ever post so I hope this works. My brother-inlaw uses a taig mill to engrave on gun barrels all the time. With a dos maxnc controller. He purchased WINGRAVER PRO to write the code for the 4th axis works like a charm just tell it the diameter and it figures it all out plus you can use true type fonts and any artwork you want and it has "code optimization" realy smooths things out.

WINGRAVER PRO is this still available ?

wingraver pro

yes wingraver pro is still avalible. Travers has it as well as directly from glasshouse software at http://www.microcimm.comhttp://www.travers.com I believe msc has it also. ps. it has to be the "pro" for the rotary axis!

WINGRAVER PRO is on sale until the end of feb at travers!

Gunlaoctors,
    I read your post about using your small mill for engraving on gun parts, gun barrels. I have done some of that with my SX3 mill. I was put off by the cost of the manufactured spring engraving attachments so made one for myself. Mine is pretty much the same as the one that someone else posted here. I originally intended to make it with a collet to hold the tool but found that I didn't need that so modified my design to use a set screw to hold the 1/8" tool. I found that particularly for barrel engraving of calibers etc. a rotating engraver wasn't what was required. I originally made my engravers from 1/8" round carbide tool bits ground to 120 deg. included angle. They worked pretty well but I later purchased a diamond drag engraver with a 120 deg. point. It makes a beautiful, bright line. I have found that a .100" letter is about right on a barrel.
    I have also experimented with rotating the spindle with a diamond burr installed in it for engraving on glass. This seems to work pretty well also. Just because factory produced precision tools are available for a premium price, don't be afraid to experiment with making your own. You may find that yours will do the job that you wish to do.

OM

Page 2 of 2 12