587,421 active members*
3,356 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > BP Series 1 - Z axis power transistor died again!?!?!
Page 5 of 5 345
    What happens when you put the SMD board from the X onto the Y? I assume that the amps on your drives are still 8.0-8.2. Another idea is to change motors from one drive to the next. Just make sure that you get the wiring correct... I did this once and that is when I found that I had two Sigma motors and one Superior. All OK but they are not wired the same.
    To me it looks like you have a short somewhere or your SMD's are not quite right. When I bench test the SMD I power it to 18V and check the voltage on the Q4 Q9 etc by putting the test lead on the case itself. This is the voltage that the motors see. I get about 6.5 for an off transistor and 9 for an on transistor. The voltages you gave are the difference in voltage. The 2.5 split on your X would probably give you 6.5 and 9 in reference to ground. I have one SMD board that I now use for parts that would turn on and off all transistors just like it should and the output voltages were close but it would eat the 2N6547 trasnsistors just for fun. I now just use it for parts in a pinch. It was either that or a hammer. Just stick with it. You will be amazed at what you learn. Never give up. And always double, triple check everything. Be very detailed & thorough in everything you do. If you drop a washer, FIND IT. Put all screws back in their original locations. Never do anything temporary. And make sure that machine is getting lube to all the places it needs. A clean lubed machine is also easier on all the legacy electronics.
    -rob

Superior Motor

Hello Kewl_cat,
    Now we have finally reached the concluding part of the problem. I changed the Y axis motor wires with the X axis motor wires and the Y axis motor response remained the same. Then i opened the back of my Y axis Superior Motor and compared its connections with those in the circuit diagram of the Bridgeport manual and they were not in the same order as mentioned in the Circuit diagram. Then i wired the Y axis motor according to circuit diagram and now i have a working Y axis.

Thanks to you , HillBilly and all others who are people helping those in trouble.

(nuts) But still there is one issue with the Superior Motor. When i jog the Y axis it suddenly comes to a stand still after traveling 2 inches or even less and when i try to move the superior motor shaft with hand it resists very little as compared to the Z axis motor and travels to the next step and aligns the shaft at a stand still but the resisting torque is still very little and when running the program the Y axis motor keeps on vibrating.

According to my perception this sudden stop problem is due to ACC card and the reason behind this is simple i.e. the winding resistance of Superior motor is less than the Sigma motor. When i jog the Superior motor the current suddenly shoots above the ACC current limit (which i have set to 8.2 Amps) and current flow is stopped by ACC.

I have changed the motor tuning properties to very small values and i have to wait too long for traveling from one side to the other of Y axis.

Kewl_cat as you mentioned that you are using Superior Motor then you might be understanding my problem very well.

Waiting for your Suggestions and help.

A.A

Good you got it (somewhat) working. What speed (ipm) are you trying to run at? When you go too fast and it stalls, it will be have as you describe. Once it stalls, it will remain stalled until that axis stops receiving steps and accelerates from a stop again.

I don't think the ACC board is the problem. The ACC board actively limits current for all the axes. Its not an on-off type limit. It is a continuous thing.

Does the Y ballscrew turn smoothly and easily when you turn it by hand? If there is some drag on the axis that may cause the problem you are seeing. MAybe also check the tightness of the Y axis gib.

Matt

My superior motor is on my X so I can't easily try to turn it by hand. The X axis is my best axis and always works correctly. My issues are always with the Y & Z. I wish I had superiors on all 3. Most issues I have with stalling is on the Z. Taking Machinteks advice I cleaned and oiled and the problem goes away. I don't having waylube going to the Z so I have to oil it everyday with a squirt oiler. I did have issues once with the Y when I adjusted the Y gib too tight(worked ok in the middle of travel but not at the ends) so I agree with Keebler especially if your machine sat for a few years. I emphasize tuning up the way lube system. You will be amazed how a well lubed system has less gremlins. When I got my machine all the way lube metering units were clogged. I found LubeUSA on the Internet and replaced all the units(except Z) and that was the BEST tuneup that I did to my machine other than fixing the SMD board. Those ballscrews must have lube. I like to see lube dripping out the ends of the ways and yes I mop everyday. The machine even sounds better. I thought lube was not that important at first but now know it is mission critical. My Bijur pump puts a squirt in it every 30 mins but I add a squirt at startup in the morning and occasionally thru the day. Lube is good Always use the same lube. I use only Mobil Vactra 2.
    -rob

Settings and calibration

Matt for the time being i have made the machine to work with an average speed. for X and Z axis my Mach 3 settings are

Steps per = 100
    velocity = 100
    and
    Acceleration = 15.
    and my Y axis is working fine with

Steps per = 100
    Velocity = 15
    and
    Acceleration = 5

i found in some ones previous post that mach3 settings should be

Steps per = 1000
    Velocity = 26.25
    and
    Acceleration = 2010

but i am not sure about them. What are the settings which you are using and what should i do for calibrating my machine i.e. Timing belt ratio ??

i can easily move my Y axis with my hand.

A.A

The steps per should be 1000 for a BOSS 5 and 2000 for a BOSS 6. The only difference is the pulleys. The BOSS 5 uses 1:1 ratio pulleys, the BOSS 6 uses 2:1. The ballscrews are 5 TPI and the motors are 200 step per rev.

My velocity is set on 60 on all axes. I think my accel is around or less than 5, I'm not sure though. I can check it the next time I am at my parents house (where my mill is).

I think part of your problem is that you are expecting too much from these old electronics in regard to speed. The quality of the motor drive signals deteriorates quickly at higher speeds.

Have you been p[aying attention to your DRO in mach when you jog your axes? It seems it would be pretty clear that your steps per is incorrect. For example at the settings you listed, 1 inch on the DRO would be .1 inch on the machine (or .05 inch if you have a BOSS 6).

Set the steps per correctly, then start slow on the velocity and accel, maybe like 20 and 2 respectively, and then ease them up until you have problems, then back off a little bit.

Also I am not sure if you are in the west LA or the south LA but reduced temperatures cause the way oil to increase in viscosity which makes things worse. I used to blow transistors when it was cold (I think) due to the increased load on the motors.

Matt

Page 5 of 5 345