587,081 active members*
2,657 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > what is this toolholder?

what is this toolholder?

Hello. I troll the USPO website quite a bit and ran across this wierd attatchment and cannot figure out what it's purpose is and wonder if anyone on this forum has any idea. I tried to access the specification page but it does not work for me . I see it has a dovetail slide and a bunch of adjustments. Scott.

Basically it's just an adjustable toolholder. Item #39 is a replaceable collet for holding the tool (which can again be indexed/rotated). Fig #5 is the same device but using a rack and pinion for vertical adjustment., and Fig #6 is again just an alternate (simpler) design.

Thanks chagrin, it looks like an elaborate piece of junk with redundant features. Why would anyone want to index a tool in that thing unless it is used to hold stock for lathe milling or something like that. Scott.

Could it be some kind of a manually operated large radius forming tool?
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Possible huflundung, but I think it is probably something better left undiscovered . Lots of overhang on that thing. Scott.

My guess would be it is for cutting key ways in shafting on a lathe..like a shaper.

Hence the vertical adjustments (or depth of cut) by way of the gear and rack setup. With #15 being the tool bit.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)