587,104 active members*
4,208 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Finally getting started.....

Hybrid View

Hi Pete this is Dee from the Yellow forum, got your thread marked now and it looks like your making good progress. It is inspiring me to get out there and start to work more on my CNC router table and get my mill X axis working right.

Not to mention jealous as hell about those lovely air rifles your building thats what I really want to get into doing one of these days.

Dee

Pete,

That looks like a very kewl rifle, how accurate is it?

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Jalessi...... It still needs some work but.....

Right now it is about as accurate as any of the manufactured Field Target rifles I have owned which is to say that in calm winds it can shoot around 1/2 inch five shot groups at fifty yards off the bench. It is also as I said not finished and I just recently got introduced to a finishing process called Moly resin and I am gonna do some test pieces with the finish to see how it goes and I will then decide if I am gonna do the whole gun with it.

Dee good to see ya on the zone man, I am sure if you ask questions here about your Sherline x axis problem you will find quick and intelligent answers. The guys here are pretty knowledgeable. I am not so I cannot help you much at all...

I did manage to get some more work done this weekend on the mill. I did some more machining on the mounts for the ballscrews/motors and I also machined all the standoffs for the mounts on the lathe. The little buggers needed to be machined with 1.75" aluminum x .5" round with 1/4-20 tapped on both ends. I thought I could just pop them out but they actually took some time to cut to length, face, face to length in the lathe, center drill, drill and tap about 24 holes. I was able to rigid tap them in the lathe so it went not too bad. I also made a trip to the hardware store for the myriad of socket head capscrews needed. I am gonna hopefully have the mounts all machined and assembled by this weekend and I can then try to mount all of the parts on the mill. I am trying to find a solution for an anti backlash setup for the 3/4 inch ballnuts I have here. Preferrably cheap or homemade but so far I have not had any luck with it. Any ideas guys.... peace

Need some advice on power supply....

Hey guys,
    I am getting real close to being ready to start the electronics build on my Lathemaster cnc conversion. I have the motor mounts machined and nearly completed for the three axes and I already machined the ballscrews. I am now ready to order a power supply....

My system is going to be the CNC4PC C11G board, three of the Keling inc. KL34 180-90 servo motors with US digital encoders. I am using Gecko G320 servo drives. I understand that they are rated for a max of 80vdc. I have been following the build of Bob Warfield and he apparently now has the machine running with an Antek power supply of 70vdc and 1000w. I was looking at their website and found a pps that looks pretty good. It is the Ps-10n70R5R12. It is a 70VDc supply with a 12v 1a and 5v 1a output setup. From what I gather the bob needs the 5v and looking at the data sheet pdf on cnc4pc's website the board might also need the 12v to run alternative outputs like spindle control and other stuff. I know nothing about this stuff and I just wanna buy the right pps. Is this one about right or do I need to look at another model. The keling motors are continuous 7.8amp and they are a failure at 90vdc I guess. I am thinking about a 3-1 ratio on the pulleys based on some calculations made by a good friend on here. If any of you electronics gurus have an idea what I need for a power supply I would really appreciate any input. Thanks and peace....

Calculating power supply size...

Quote Originally Posted by pete from TN View Post
    I was looking at their website and found a pps that looks pretty good. It is the Ps-10n70R5R12.
    You're bang on the money That should be the one you want. Funnily enough, I posted this for someone else just yesterday...

From John @ Antek:

Our Power supplies can always handle up to 200% of its rated current for few minutes. The best way to estimate the power supply that you need is the sum of all motor current times 60% times voltage.

So, for a 70v supply, based on about 7.8 amps per servo you're looking at 7.8 amps x 3 servos x 60% x 70 volts = 983 watts...

Best regards,

Jason

Hey thanks for that jason...

I was unsure if I was going in the right direction here. That formula for the pps sounds good to me. The motors data sheet on the keling inc website is where I got the 7.9 amp rating and it says terminal voltage is 90vdc. I think you are right that this size main power supply is the one I need and it seems to have worked well for Bob too. I also am wondering however about the 5v and 12v inputs. Have most fellas used a pps like this that provides this or do most rely on the computer for the 5v logic power. The geckos need power too I guess. I am a newbie here and while I have read a lot about this stuff I am still unsure what I need. I guess this pps setup in a 220v config would be nice and if it has extra outputs and I wind up not needing them then so be it. The nice thing is that the pps is all done and it is one less thing I will need to work on hopefully. I have been steadily working on the machine lately and I feel I have made a lot of progress. I really need to post some pictures of the stuff I have completed so this looks like a build thread. Only problem is that my time is real tight with work and sidework and when I get out there to work on the mill I am so focused on getting stuff done on it I forget to grab the camera. Gotta put one out there are leave it there so I notice it I guess.... Anyways, much appreciated and thanks for the information....peace...

Smile

Hi Pete,

I had a quick scan back through the thread to refresh, but didn't find out what you're intending to use to isolate the PC from the machine?

If you use an optoisolated breakout board, the PC can supply power via a USB connection for the PC logic side, but still requires 5v for the machine side of the optoisolators - that's where the regulated 5v from the Antek supply comes in. You might not need the 12v output but it doesn't cost much extra, and you'll sure be glad you got it if you do need it, now or in the future!

Just by the way (if you hadn't picked this up, and thought it might be handy for your build) the Antek supplies can be ordered with three separately fused main outputs, with an LED indicator on each one - see pic, middle right hand side. This supply is a PS-8N80R12F (800 watts, 80Vdc, 12v auxiliary) - nice, and heavy too. I believe the 'F' on the end of the model No. denotes this option.

Photos are good We all like looking at pictures! You know what they say, a picture is worth a thousand words... but I keep forgetting my camera too :cheers:

Best regards,

Jason

Edit - Oops, that is the 600 watt supply - the 800 watt one has a taller toroid but is otherwise the same.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a0fe90_1000_1000.jpg.jpeg