587,119 active members*
3,634 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Small tools on the pre-setter

Small tools on the pre-setter

I'm planning on using a .03, and .02 carbide endmills on my table tool setter in my VF-2 and the feed rate seems awfully high for that small of a tool. Seems like it may chip at that initial feed rate at first touch. What do you guys do? and how small of a tool have you successfully touched off on the probe.? Thanks

I have chipped .125 end mills and have not .047 end mills. It really depends on how clean the tool setter is. I have ran some .015 end mills in a HAAS before but I did not use the tool setter. I personaly would use brass shim stock and do it manually.

I use the tool setter for 1/32" endmills frequently. At first I manually reduced the feed rate but then forgot to later. No chiped tools yet. So I don't bother to reduce the feed rate on those anymore (short and relatively stiff). I still reduce the feed for .05 and smaller drills however.

Using the toolsetter with the tool rotating slows the feed down also. You just put a rough height in, and it stops above, turns the spindle on reverse, and eases down onto the setter. Not sure if that speed would chip the tool.

P9853 (I believe)
    Tim

I never recommend going below 1/32 on a contact tool setter...have I gone smaller successfully? Yes, would I trust it every day? No.

For what it's worth, your HFO can retrofit a non-contact tool setter into your probing package on the machine...it's expensive, but I have a customer setting a 0.002" tool every day with it (the particular model they have will go as small as 0.001"), as well as lots of other customers using them for various other reasons...they're a LOT faster than the contact probes are too...VERY VERY fast for broken tool detection too, make a rapid move into the beam by the tolerance specified, if it see's any light, it's broken, if it sees no light, it's good and makes a rapid move out...it's amazing how fast it is.