587,787 active members*
2,981 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > RF45 Clone CNC Conversion Started
Page 3 of 3 123

BirdE, we NEED an update man.....

Just kidding, would love to see what you are up to on this Lathemaster conversion. Peace man....

Pete
    865-363-9218

Progress....

Things have slowed down a bit. However I did finish the X axis conversion and working to mount encoders on my servo motors.
    I have received all the belts and pulleys I need and had to open t bores up on the pulleys a bit to fit the servo motors.

I will try to post some more pictures soon.

Bob

Wink Back on it again!

Well, it been almost a year... I have had alot of other projects come up and this has taken a back seat. But I'm back on it and have posted some new content to my conversion site. If you are interested please check it out and let me know what you think. I plan on adding more content in the comming days.

http://www.rlberg.com

Bob

Bob, that is good news man.....

I thought I was gonna catch up to you on my build but from the looks of your website your still ahead of me. I have yet to get the Y axis mounted but I got the x and the Z at least preliminarily done. I still have to make my zero backlash setups for all three axes. I did get a manual bijur oiler yesterday and some fittings. I gotta order some tubing too. What kind of oil fittings are you planning on using and also which type of timing belts and pulleys did you use? I am still undecided about wether to get the XL or GT2 style pulleys and belts. I also just got my power supply in the mail too. I got the Antek 1000 watt 70vdc setup with 5v and 12v out. Running out of stuff to order finally so this should be getting finished at least sometime soon. Cannot wait!! Your build looks good and those motor mounts cnc machined look very nice and beefy. I LIKE BEEFY!! peace man....I'll be watching....

Nice to hear...

I'm using the GT style belts and pulleys I believe...
    I have also done alot of work on the servo motors, mounting the encoders and installing a brake on the Z motor.

I'm currently working on the oil lines for the X and Y.
    I want to keep all the oil fittings on the Y carriage for both X and Y. So I'm in the process of cross drilling the carriage to get oil to the X.

I'm using 1/8" push-lok fittings and tubing. I need to make a manifold after that.

Then somekind of screw covers for the Y axis, I can see chips being a problem!

NIce man....

What kind of brake are you using and where did you get it because I have been trying to find one of those for my build too. Also where did you get your fittings. I had a bunch of 1/4 inch fittings given to me from my work but I am not sure if they are the air or fluid rated ones> I was gonna just put them on and see if anything goes pop.... My servos are the Keling inc models and they are already drilled and tapped for the encoders which is real nice but I am wanting to come up with some kind of metal or plastic waterproof covers for the flood cooling kinda like the IH ones maybe. I think you are doing a real nice job on your build tho and it looks real quality so far. I thought about putting the Y out back of the column too but I figure if that large handle was never really in the way then the motor sticking out much lower and off to the right will probably not be a big deal either altho I have not mounted the thing yet so I may just change my mind. Were you able to get any more travel that way? I think that the Y travel is about the only real drawback of these machines. Sure wish they had the same bed as the IH ones, 12 inches would be real fine!! peace....

Pete

MSC

I got the fittings from MSC industrial.
    I will try to dig up where I got the brake from and try to post pictures on my site with it mounted to the servo.

Brake

The brake is an electroid BFSB-7-6-24V
    I got it from some on-line surplus place but can't remember which one.
    Bob

Thanks for the info man....

I will try to find one like that. It seems like a lot of guys use those larger ones that are pulley mounted. I am curious as to how yours works when it gets running....peace

Thanks for the idea....

Hey man just wanted to tell you that I was inspired by the way you did your one shot oiler setup on the X axis. I have been trying to figure out a way to get the fittings inbetween the x axis dovetails under the table and after looking at your website I saw how you managed to do it. This is a clean and tidy installation and I basically copied your method of drilling down into the casting for the fitting and the X axis port then cross drilling from the side to connect the dots. Very nice and now I can make the setup the way I had wanted. Thanks for the good ideas. This is basically what I want my oil lines to look like....This fellow did a marvelous job on his whole machine, if I can make mine look anything like this I will be pretty happy....peace...

http://imageevent.com/tppjr/rf45dovetailmill oneshotoiler;jsessionid=yxw1ofkf02.buffalo_s

The brake works!

I put together the Z axis last night to make sure the brake will hold the weight of the head. It works perfect! No problem at all to hold the weight even with the gib completely loose

Here is the picture of the test:

http://www.rlberg.com/RF45Assemb.html

Bob

Sounds great man....

I still have not ordered mine yet but I am gonna soon. You were not kidding about cleaning up the look of the millhead. What exactly is holding the spindle up now that you do not even have the quill lock handle anymore, and are you going to put it back on to allow you to manually adjust the spindle to zero out on a workpiece? Also what are you gonna do with the wire guide on the top of the head? Nice looking machine tho and I for one am watching...

I just got my preloaded ballnut setup figured out and got the gardner spring washers in the mail today so I hope to be able to put it all together this weekend and see how the axes feel with zero backlash( I hope),,,, peace...

I'm going to use the quick lock

The only thing holding it in is a little friction as this point! :-)

I do plan on using the quill lock, but I'm going to just use a counter sunk cap screw instead of the handle. Most of the time I won't need it, but when I do, just grab an allen wrech and I can adjust the quill.

The cable guide I bought so I can run any cables/hoses to the head in a nice neat manner. However, the cable guide may be a bit too big, I wanted it to fit behind the motor, but that's not going to happen. I may try to get a shorter one.
    Thanks!
    Bob

HEy man.....

Just wondering how your Lathemaster conversion is coming along? Looking good so far, mine has some more to do but is also coming along... Cannot wait to see your video of it running soon...peace

Page 3 of 3 123