587,202 active members*
2,909 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123
    I intend to take pictures. Once home I will post some of them.

I am Home

I had a good visit at CAMaster today and spent a good bit of time with Bill, Paul and Jim. Very enjoyable time. My new Mini cobra with recoil lathe is in my shop now. Tomorrow night I will start assembling the final wiring and getting it up and running.

Here are some photos from today.

Joey get well soon,

R3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1136.JPG   DSCN1148.JPG   DSCN1151.JPG  

excellent looking piece of machinery!!

jim
    James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

It's Alive!

I completed the cables today and ran the machine with gcode. I didn't cut anything , I will do that tomorrow. So far looks like it will work fine. I still have to tune the servos. That is something I have to figure out. I'm not that familiar with servos yet.

Russ

I have run the X and Y axes at a rapid of 1000 ipm and they are smooth as silk. My table is only 30 x 50 inches so that is moving around pretty quick. I don't expect to ever run gcode using that kind of speed but it is nice to know it is there if needed. Sort of like a 300 hp city car.

Russ

Talking 300 hp city car?

More like a 300hp Sparrow(flame2).

1000 ipm on a 30x50 table is like a slingshot are you kidding me:bat:

jim :rainfro::drowningflame2)

where are all the icons coming from?

In my playing around I actually had it run diagonal test from one corner to the far corner and back a number of times at various speeds from 500 to 1500 ipm. The machine handled the speed with no problem. It started getting a little scary at the high speed. I upped the acceleration to see what it would do and I don't think I need that kind of speed. I have it set for 800ipm and 25 acceleration. That seems pretty quick.

I have been playing around with the numbers and can cut a 5 inch square within about .003.

I think I will let that be for a while.

Russ

CAMaster Mini Cobra 3050 Axis Speed test

I was testing the movement of the axes and took a short video of the test. The machine is moving from one corner to the diagonal corner with z moving about 3 inches up. On the way back z returns to the original position. The movement is about 48 inches x and 26 inches y.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCAfX3BDPW8"]YouTube - Camaster 1500ipm movement test[/ame]

Russ

I ran the 4th axis for the first time yesterday. I still don't have the controller box wired for the 4th axis so I used the box from my Taig mill which has stepper drives in it. I have the axis configured so that it rotates one full revolution as a 1 inch setting in Mach3. I am still playing with the numbers and trying to figure out how the rotational axis is supposed to be configured. I am reading and trying to get that straight in my head.

I guess at the moment I could make an oscillator with a 555 timer chip and run the stepper as a motor. Then all I would have to program would be the x and z axes to use the lathe. It wouldn't be a real 4th axis but I could make spindles and table legs.

Russ

I put together an oscillator with a 555 timer and connected it to a breakout board and gecko 201 to drive the stepper on my 4th axis lathe. It isn't a real 4th axis at this point but the lathe turned and I used the router spindle to cut a cylinder. It works! The spin rate is rather slow (there is a 4.8 to 1 reduction) but with the spindle of the router doing the cutting that isn't a problem. I can now turn spindles with the router lathe combination until I can get my controller box rewired to include the 4th axis driver. My current controller box is too small to fit the driver in it.

Russ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First cut with Camaster lathe.JPG  

Pictures of play time in the shop

Here are some pictures of some of the items I have experimented and played with since I got the MC3050-R. The nosecone is for a friend's air rocket. The spindle is experimentation for making table legs. The Engraving is for a box (coffin) a friend made for his dog.

The Mini Cobra is a fine addition to the "Playhouse". It is the most used machine in the shop.

Russ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1220.JPG   DSCN1229.JPG   DSCN1274-1.jpg   DSCN1276.jpg  

Smile Reworked controller installed

My controller has been reworked to include the 4th axis driver.:banana: I think I am getting close to the final configuration and can concentrate on playing instead of setup and installation. Now to learn how to use the new 4th axis control.

Russ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Camaster controller.jpg   New controller installed.jpg  

I have had the MC3050-R for over a year and have had a lot of fun with it I have made a few things other than just playing. I have the 4th axis wired and working well and have been playing with 3d carving on the flat and rotary.

Russ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First finished plaque.jpg   small DSCN0363.jpg   small DSCN0361.jpg  

now you are kicking in well!!

Page 3 of 3 123