588,644 active members*
4,872 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > First build! 3-Axis Gantry-style CNC

Hybrid View

Hi, I like your Z Axis, I may even copy it! Just one thing, it doesn't seem to have a fixed end bearing block on the top, or am I wrong?

Good luck with your build.

Quote Originally Posted by thkoutsidthebox View Post
    Hi, I like your Z Axis, I may even copy it! Just one thing, it doesn't seem to have a fixed end bearing block on the top, or am I wrong?

Good luck with your build.
    Thanks.

Yeah, a bearing block identical to the one on the bottom sits between the motor mount block, and the top piece of aluminum extrusion, so the screw is held good and centered on both ends with some nice bearings.

I hope to have some more updates to show off today or tomorrow.

I sort of have the table portion of the machine designed. Mostly though, I was mulling over it in my head while adding photoreal detail to what has already been visualized, heh. (Having already gone so far, I decided to see it through, in the hopes of having accomplished MULTIPLE cool things.)

Picture updated!

Mostly Completed

So I have the table and gantry design out. The only thing missing is the tool platform itself, though really all it is is a slab of aluminum with 12mm linear bearing pillowblocks bolted to the back, and K2CNC's Bosch 1617 mount on the front, so use your imagination in the meantime

Here it is!

Looks great, I circled some problem areas. And they are not really problems, its just with tweaking they could become much stronger.

The bottom 4 circles, if you could shorten them and rotate them 90 degrees upwords created a box, you would get a lot more stregth. ANd the mddle two circles. If you could rotate them and slide them under your spoil board, again it would go to reinforcing your design.

The upper two, just move them inside your gantry. I'm not sure if you could do it but it would be great.

Let me know if you don't understand what I mean. I still haven't had my morning coffee.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc suggestioins.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by FandZ View Post
    Looks great, I circled some problem areas. And they are not really problems, its just with tweaking they could become much stronger.

The bottom 4 circles, if you could shorten them and rotate them 90 degrees upwords created a box, you would get a lot more stregth. ANd the mddle two circles. If you could rotate them and slide them under your spoil board, again it would go to reinforcing your design.

The upper two, just move them inside your gantry. I'm not sure if you could do it but it would be great.

Let me know if you don't understand what I mean. I still haven't had my morning coffee.
    Thanks for the feedback Yeah, I get what you're saying.

Moving the beams on the gantry in is not doable, that was actually the original design, but it became obvious that the balance would be better if the shafts and stuff were moved to the center, and the beams to the outside.

As for the two front-to-back beams on the outside of the table, they're mostly there to give an inch of clearance under the table with the extra rigidity as an added benefit. I see how making it a box frame like that would improve rigidity, but I'm not sure how much more rigid it needs to be.

Don't know about the middle two though.