588,436 active members*
6,154 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Gerber > Grateful for advice about used Gerber Sabre 408

Hybrid View

Will check for G-code option

I a grateful for all input. And I have come to understand that the CNC-business is very much about recommending and getting kick backs. It's a lot of money involved. And of course this may tend to do the recommendations biased one way or the other. I don't know if its the same with software but maybe all the 30 days trial versions does away with that.

Anyway, I will bring my router home, install and check for the "switch to G-code" option. (Thanks Alaska Biff) If it is there I think all is fine. Read that a lot of people runs Gerber Sabres with different software in that mode.

If its not there, I guess Ill have to go with the proprietary stuff. But 10K???
    How much is Artcam Insignia? The express is 1250 I guess.
    Lets hope for the G-code option..

there are workarounds to do 3d work, vcarve or artcam express can import 3d models and produce code, but to create or model yourself the next step is aspire or artcam full program, one of our employees has both. and we will not be upgrading artcam any further. you have purchased a doggone good router and at a fantastic price i have no doubt it will do what you want!!

please keep us up on your progress it will help others too!!

jim
    James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

You will be really pleased with the Sabre, I have a 408 with the tool changer. I run gerber software with Artpath and 3D auto carve. Also runs great on Enroute which is also 3D. If you have any questions on it just drop me a note.
    I will be upgrading to the M series soon with gerber I cut. I might sell the sabre.

Sabre's capabilities

I run a Sabre 404 without a tool changer. I've been running it for my father since i was about 14-15.

There seems to be a lot of confusion over what this machine is capable of. So here is what I have learned the hard way.

The machine is fully 3D capable - when using Gerber's software to control it. Ramping, used for Autocarve, is a 3 dimensional (3 axis) movement.

While it is true that the machine will understand and use SOME G-code, it only accepts a LIMITED (ie very short) list of commands. Also, the machine will only operate in 2.5 axis in G-code. For those confused, this means it will NOT ramp using G-code - it can move the Z-axis, then after the z-move is complete, it will perform the XY movements. Be warned, also, that if you plan to cut wood with this machine - I have not found any way to alter the servo acceleration when using G-code. This is crucial because the acceleration is set so low in G-code that the material will likely burn rather than making a smooth cut. I tested just how slow the acceleration is - doubling the feed rate made a 5 second difference in job time, out of a 1.5 minute program. This is bad.

The router has been very stable, though, and using Gerber's software is easy. Don't expect to learn a lot about CNC controls, though, since you won't see any of the code output to the machine. My only other complaint is that some of ARTPath's toolpath options don't cut wood very well. For example, try doing a simple cleanout cut. While the toolpath is optimized for cut time (one direction then the other), it is NOT optimized for finish quality. The bit will make a bad linear pattern on the bottom, which is highly visible since the direction of cut is alternating. This requires EXTENSIVE finishing, even if you use a top quality, brand new bit. It will also chip the bottom surface. Just thought I'd add this.

There may be a way, however, to run G-code on the Sabre without using Gerber's interpreter, and without tearing out the controller. :cheers:. You can PM me if you want more info.

Hi All.

First post to the forum after much reading.

I'm looking at a used Gerber Sabre 408 (it looks like a beauty) and have some questions (and the ususal sources, Gerber and the distributor aren't very helpful).

It has ArtPath as the software.

I'm particularly interested in using the Free Door program on the machine http://home.centurytel.net/bwclark/ which looks to need simultaneous 3 axis movement. Free Doors will export a .dxf, but will ArtPath execute it properly?

Are there any decent low cost CAD programs that will work with this machine?

I also want to do cabinets. How does ArtPath handle them? There are lot's of neat programs that will do this well. Will any of them run on the Gerber?

What does the 3D upgrade to the software cost?

How limited is G-code?

Thanks.

i do know of several softwares for cabinetry nesting, cabinetparts pro, freedoors etc. i use them. gcode is a machine language that is pretty universal and therefore widely used and to say it is limited or unlimited is kinda like the family you marry into, the fellow who taught me cnc told me i would need to learn just enough to equate it to ordering a meal in a foriegn restraurant, the gerber is traditionally a sign machine built by a company that specializes in that type of usage and other sign making equipment, for years they have had a propietary software system that kept customers within thier system. gerber does not market to nor attend any woodworking shows i am aware of.

this will at times exclude other more common softwares. like vectric and many cabinetry nesting programs. my suggestion is to contact the software companies you intend to use for conformation.

welcome aboard

jim
    James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

If you purchase a Gerber sabre and want to do cabinets you need ENROUTE by SAI. If you look on e-bay you sometimes you can find it. You need the pro setup and it will be extra for the cabinet setup. I can tell you it does work SUPER. I have enroute for signs in 3D and have the cabinet turned on also. Cost will be about 6000.00.