587,125 active members*
3,365 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bearing question

I have some bearings I bought from ENCO. They are 1" ID and 2" OD. The number on the bearing is R16RS. I'm sure this # just gives type and size. I have no other data on the bearing. Is there a way or does anyone know the max speed, and the constant speed the bearing can be used at? They are the
    sealed type. They may have to operate at 5000 rpm at some times for probably no more than 10 minutes at a time. .............Nick
    Nick http://www.nixstuff.com
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ

I found bearing number R162RS in Peer bearing catalog. 1" ID, 2" OD,sealed (2) sides grease lubricated, 14,000 rpm limit.

Rule of thumb, top rpm would 1/10th of max or 1,400 rpm. Reason is for extending bearing life. I would think you could exceed that intermittently.

Hope that helps.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

If you are looking for good bearings, ones going reasonably fast especially, ENCO is not the first place I would shop. I think most of the bearings from ENCO are probably more appropriate for wheelbarrows than high speed machinery. Remember that you get what you pay for and you will be the one standing there when things go south at 5k rpm. Also think about how much money it would cost to disassemble your machine and fix all the parts that broke due to your low quality bearings. Might be cheaper in the long run to only do it once.

Matt

monte55, You didn't mention what the application was. These are not, as keebler33 said, appropriate for spindles. These are simple ball bearings, not much axial support there.

Angular contact bearings are more appropriate. A/C bearings can be supplied with varying contact angles and preloads. You should be able to match proper bearings with your application whatever that is.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Most bearing manufacturers post engineering information on their websites and you can always contact a local bearing supply house as well. 5000 rpm is not so fast. You could probably purchase "Electric Motor" bearings--ABEC 3--that would easily handle this rpm. There are all sorts of details that will need to be defined such as static and dynamic loading, thermal expansion, pre-load, run-out, corrosion, contamination, lifespan etc... A good bearing supply shop can give you guidance on bearing selection.