587,396 active members*
3,745 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 5 of 8 34567
    very impressive. lets see some video of that thing in action!

I agree, can we see a video of your fabulous machine working? Great job!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvtMqh05fsQ"]YouTube - Home Made CNC Plasma Cutter with Plate Marker - Part 1[/ame]

Fast forward to about 1:40 to see the plate marker!

One more....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14QfBJQ_fy4"]YouTube - CNC Plasma Cutter - Part 2[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcFCBnO9g_E"]YouTube - CNC Motion and Plate Marking Demo[/ame]

I wonder what causes that brown looking foam?

I don't know what causes it but it disappears.

Exclamation cut quality

Fiero,
    After cut, Do you get a free dross in the bottom of material?

Mongkol

I get a normal amount of dross that is easy to clean off. If I have the speed and height just right, and a new tip, it does really well with hardly any dross. I have my 10ga settings down pretty good, the video is 1/4" and judging by the sparks it looks like something wasn't quite right, but it still cut fine.

Plate maker

Wow, nice job! Tell us more about the plate maker...How do you interface the two. Did you build it yourself? WE (group) need to know more!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick40 View Post
    Wow, nice job! Tell us more about the plate maker...How do you interface the two. Did you build it yourself? WE (group) need to know more!!!!!!
    I made it. See my post #43 on page 4. I'll need to write a different post processor to do engraving, when the need arises. Right now I just use it to mark holes that are too small to be burned.

I re-read the post and missed it! I'm really impressed, your cuts are fantastic. I'm looking to build but will only cut 1/8 steel, what would you recommend for a plasma?

Quote Originally Posted by Mick40 View Post
    I re-read the post and missed it! I'm really impressed, your cuts are fantastic. I'm looking to build but will only cut 1/8 steel, what would you recommend for a plasma?
    30 amps should be plenty for 1/8", but you should get the best one you can afford. I would avoid the cheap China units.

Hypertherm has a good track record, I will spent the extra money in the long run it will same me aggravation.

thanks!

Hey thanks for sharing and for the videos, nice build. I especially liked the marking device. I work in 2mm (14 guage) sheet cutting large pieces from 3000 x 1500mm (10' x 5') sheets and would love to build a suitable machine with a marking device for the rivet holes. Yours is a very inspiring project!
    By the way, anyone know if plasma cuts pre-galvanised sheet without problems?

Smile

Fiero, really nice build, you're a tallented man.
    If you built again would you still use the same "210 oz/in NEMA 23 stepping motors" or would go a bit bigger ? You do refer to them as smal.

Quote Originally Posted by skippy View Post
    Hey thanks for sharing and for the videos, nice build. I especially liked the marking device. I work in 2mm (14 guage) sheet cutting large pieces from 3000 x 1500mm (10' x 5') sheets and would love to build a suitable machine with a marking device for the rivet holes. Yours is a very inspiring project!
    By the way, anyone know if plasma cuts pre-galvanised sheet without problems?
    I've cut 18ga galvanized sheet with the plasma, no problems.

I use the marker for marking holes that are too small to burn, or ones that need to be threaded. The plasma makes the holes a little hard to tap, so I mark them and drill them.

Quote Originally Posted by adscnc View Post
    Fiero, really nice build, you're a tallented man.
    If you built again would you still use the same "210 oz/in NEMA 23 stepping motors" or would go a bit bigger ? You do refer to them as smal.
    Thanks!
    I would probably get bigger motors, maybe step up to the next frame size. I'm driving them pretty hard and they get very hot within a few minutes. I got 5 of them for $80 on Ebay, so I have two spares before I have to buy any more, but so far no failures.

Thanks for the videos, inspiring, great machine!

A quick question for Fiero Addiction or anyone else who may be able to help; where do you source the multiwire plugs used to connect and quick disconnect the motors to the controller we see in the photos of your machine in the first couple of posts.

thanks!

Mark

Page 5 of 8 34567