588,032 active members*
4,466 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Into the deep end..

Into the deep end..

The company I work for recently purchased a woodworking facility to diversify our operating basis.

Prior to about 4 weeks ago I didn't even know what gcode was, now I'm responsible for helping streamline the flow of hand drawn designs into final cut pieces using a Fanuc 15M from 1989.

So far I've got a pretty good handle on how everything works and have successfully used Mastercam X3 to generate code for a few simple pieces.

But enough rambling--

I believe I've got something wrong in my post processor. I'm attempting to post a two contours. I want the code generated in incremental mode, and the first contour does as such, however after it finishes the first cut, it G0 G90 G54 to the start of the next location and then never goes back to G91. At this point I'm clueless as to where to go next.

Help?

A work around.....you can bring the program file into a word processor software, MS. word, note pad, etc and insert your G91 at the appropriate line, and your file will cut. Maybe modify post processor down the line after you get a real feel for what you're doing. Many of us alter programs generated by post processors....quick and easy fixes.

Let me clarify that a bit.. The code from that point on is in absolute mode, instead of incremental like the start of the program.

I am aware that in MCEdit there is an Absolute to Incremental convertor, but I cannot communicate to the CNC from within that program like I can with the Mastercam X Editor.

I'm trying to get this process down to the minimal number of steps, as eventually it will be taken over by the workers in the shop, none of whom have much computer experience.

Where in the post processor would I begin to look to correct a problem like this?

you need to get a hold of mike matera he advertises right here on this post he will fix your post for minimal amount of money just pay the man it is worth it to know that it is right he has helped me and it is good

OK, you've told us you have X3
    what modified post are you using ?

Can you put up some code showing the problem ?
    ( I suggest using just a couple of lines to keep it short )

mark in red the code in error
    mark in blue the code you want

example
    Code:
    N4 G30 P1
    ()
    N5 T3
    N6 M201 ( pallet #1 )
    ( 3.0BALL CBD 2FLUTE 4FLUTELENGTH 6SHANK 18OUT )
    ( TOOL - 3 ; D3 ; H3 ; TOOL DIA. - 3. )
    N7 T3 M6
    N8 G15 H1
    N9 B0. M15
    N10 G0 X366.4 Y22.775
    N11 S8500 M3
    N12 M50 ( thru tool coolant )
    N13 G56 G43 H3 Z80.
    N107 G0 Z80.
    N108 M9
    N109 M5
    N109 M205 (clear coolant lines )
    N110 G17
    N111 G15 H0
    N112 G30 P1

Quote Originally Posted by mnewman View Post
    I want the code generated in incremental mode,
    If I may I have to ask why?
    I have been doing this stuff for 25 years and have never found a case where incremental was better, it is almost impossible to read and debug on the floor.

I've begun using "Generic Fanuc 3X Router", and made a duplicate of the .PST
    which I've begun editing to try and fit the needs of our machine.

At the moment the only changes I've made are:
    Under NC output, changing 'main program default absolute/incremental' to incremental.
    Under Arc, changing the three planes under Arc Center Type to Radius.
    Under Misc Int/Real values, changing "Absolute/Incremental, top level" from 0 to 1 (labeled as being 0=Abs, 1=Inc).

Code:
    N150G0G90G54X-8.0463Y-14.0375
    N160S0M5
    N170G43H1Z.1
    N180G1G91Z-.1F0.
    N190X-.0648Y.0435F.01
    N200X-.0697Y.0583
    N210X-.0692Y.07
    N220X-.0689Y.0826
    N230X-.0686Y.0962
    N240X-.0683Y.1109
    N250X-.0677Y.1264
    N800X.0597Y.1447
    N810X.0582Y.1195
    N820X.0569Y.0978
    N830X.0562Y.079
    N840X.0167Y.0187
    N850Z.1F0.
    N860M5
    N870G0G28Z0.
    N880M01
    N890G90M5Z0.
    N900T2M6
    N910G0G90G54X-18.Y-34.25
    N920S0M5
    N930G43H2Z.1
    N940G1Z0.F0.
    N950X-14.3521F.01
    N960X-14.2902Y-34.21
    N970G2X-9.Y-32.65R9.75
    N980X-3.7098Y-34.21R9.75
    N990G1X-3.6479Y-34.25
    N1000X0.
    N1010G3X.25Y-34.R.25
    N1020G1Y0.
    N1030G3X0.Y.25R.25
    N1040G1X-18.
    N1050G3X-18.25Y0.R.25
    N1060G1Y-34.
    N1070G3X-18.Y-34.25R.25
    N1080G1Z.1F0.
    N1090M5
    N1100G91G0G28Z0.
    N1110G28X0.Y0.
    N1120G52X0.Y0.Z0.
    N1130G8P0
    N1140M30
    The code for switching heads and actually starting up the machine is wrong also, but until I understand how to fix that also, I can do that much by hand.

As you can see, in green, it starts out in Incremental mode, as desired, however when it fast planes to the next chain further down the program, it switches to absolute and never goes back to incremental. This is not the desired behavior. I want all the code in incremental.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre' B View Post
    If I may I have to ask why?
    I have been doing this stuff for 25 years and have never found a case where incremental was better, it is almost impossible to read and debug on the floor.
    Because we are doing a low number of each cut, usually only a few at a time spread out over a very long period of time, they need to be able to reposition where on the table the piece is cut without having to re-write half the code.

Edit: And if there's an easier way to do that then having all incremental code, I'm all ears. I just need it to work (:

Quote Originally Posted by mnewman View Post
    Under Misc Int/Real values, changing "Absolute/Incremental, top level" from 0 to 1 (labeled as being 0=Abs, 1=Inc).
    Before altering the post
    Have you altered all misc values in all operations to output in increm.
    or did you alter only the 1st op. ?

And if there's an easier way to do that then having all incremental code, I'm all ears. I just need it to work (:
    The G54 is the zero point datum, adjust this X & Y and the program is set from that.

If the output is inc. or abs you get the same part- absolute is more user freindly and can be followed & edited.

adjust an address in incremental-the code following is junk.

you can put the G54 anywhere and run the absolute output, you will get the same part .

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    Before altering the post
    Have you altered all misc values in all operations to output in increm.
    or did you alter only the 1st op. ?
    I dunno Where do I even check that?

The G54 is the zero point datum, adjust this X & Y and the program is set from that.
    That's sounding like a more reasonable way to do this. I'll have to look into that.

If the output is inc. or abs you get the same part- absolute is more user freindly and can be followed & edited.

adjust an address in incremental-the code following is junk.
    As I understand it, they'd only alter the first coordinate to reposition it,
    but getting G54 as part of the routine will be more reasonable.

I program lathes. Very little experience with mills. Woodworking? What's that? I'm going out on a limb here trying to help, and don't doubt someone will cut it off from under me. But...I'll try anyway.

I modified a v9 mill post for incremental. Boss complained that it wouldn't output incremental now that it is in X3. I checked it out, and the post still said incremental output. Apparently X3 doesn't care what the output is set for in the post. You have to select incremental in each operation where it is desired.

For mills look in the area where the tool depth, approach, etc. is defined. There is a place there to select incremental if that is what you want. I believe this is the solution to your problem. A side note: On a mill or lathe, if you have G54 you will also have G55 through G59 work offsets at a minimum. Hope I used the correct words there (work offsets) else I will get flamed.

Be sure to let us know how you make out. I always like to know "the rest of the story." Too often the OP never lets you know if his problem was solved or not.

“It stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there's someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master."
    --Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by g-codeguy View Post
    I program lathes. Very little experience with mills. Woodworking? What's that? I'm going out on a limb here trying to help, and don't doubt someone will cut it off from under me. But...I'll try anyway.

I modified a v9 mill post for incremental. Boss complained that it wouldn't output incremental now that it is in X3. I checked it out, and the post still said incremental output. Apparently X3 doesn't care what the output is set for in the post. You have to select incremental in each operation where it is desired.

For mills look in the area where the tool depth, approach, etc. is defined. There is a place there to select incremental if that is what you want. I believe this is the solution to your problem. A side note: On a mill or lathe, if you have G54 you will also have G55 through G59 work offsets at a minimum. Hope I used the correct words there (work offsets) else I will get flamed.

Be sure to let us know how you make out. I always like to know "the rest of the story." Too often the OP never lets you know if his problem was solved or not.

“It stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there's someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master."
    --Ayn Rand
    I got the impression you'd be disappointed if nobody flamed you so here you go ! (flame2)(chair)(nuts)(wedge):argue::nonoflame2)(flame2)

Better turn over so the other side can be warmed up also

Quote Originally Posted by g-codeguy View Post
    I program lathes. Very little experience with mills.

Incremental values input into the operations refer to the selected geometry, without any reference to the work origin. It has no bearing on the incremental or absolute NC code output.

Absolute values input into the operations on the other hand are relative to the WCS ( work origin ). It also has no control on the incremental or absolute NC code output.

Are we warmed up yet ???
    or do we have to scrape the burnt bits off :cheers: LOL

The ways a programmer can output to NC in incremental or absolute is
    --- through misc. intergers for each operation ( I think MI#2 )
    --- customise the post to permanently output incremental ( IMHO this is wrong, any mods must be done thru mastercam, and you will lose any and all efficiency from a good operator to modify the code on the control )

IMO -- look for a method to set the origin on the part, the toolpaths will have a relationship to that origin, recall that program in 5 years time, place the part on the machine, set the origin, set the tools, and push cycle start

Agree here
    You have a FANUC, it uses G54, G55-59 etc -- understand what this is for, the code (absolute or incremental) is fixed around this point

First let me say that I use to occasionally lay out a contour for the man responsible for the 4-axis mills. I never incorporated them into a program. He did. The only time I have used Mill in MC the past few years is for live tooling contours used on our C-axis lathes. (Don't have a lathe post set up for it yet.) These are never in incremental. And, yes, I have to modify the NC output in order to run it on a lathe.

Second: It is easy to see who does have a good understanding of MC. I don't. You obviously do, so my comments are for learning purposes only. Although I have used MC since at least v6, as my sign in name implies, I always before manually programmed, and only used MC to cut down on using trig. For the past 1-1/2 years I have had to use MC for programming all the parts (provided there is sufficient time before the part has to be up and running) per company request.

Incremental values input into the operations refer to the selected geometry, without any reference to the work origin. It has no bearing on the incremental or absolute NC code output.

I don't understand. I showed the mill guy how to select incremental for machining letters. The NC output was incremental. Hint: the letters were the only thing laid out in MC. Obviously the first positioning block has to be in Absolute. This is always in reference to where 0,0 was laid out at on the part. Are you saying that this 0,0 and the work origin are not the same? I can't say with 100% certainty, but I'm pretty certain the reason he wanted incremental output was so that he could use that snippet of code in several locations simply by specifying a new starting location. I have no idea if this new location was a different work origin

Absolute values input into the operations on the other hand are relative to the WCS ( work origin ). It also has no control on the incremental or absolute NC code output.

Isn't absolute or incremental output controlled by the programmer when he selects a toolpath as I described in my previous post?

The ways a programmer can output to NC in incremental or absolute is
    --- through misc. intergers for each operation ( I think MI#2 )

Now you've lost me. I've never used misc. integers, wouldn't know how, have no idea what they would be used for. Probably take a small book for you to explain how to and what their uses are, huh? I feel that I am severely handicapped in learning Mastercam because I am limited to lathe programming only. I understand that MC has a learning module that you can download on a home computer. Unfortunately I am married. My wife already complains about me not spending enough quality time with her. And that I spend too much time on the computer.

--- customise the post to permanently output incremental ( IMHO this is wrong, any mods must be done thru mastercam, and you will lose any and all efficiency from a good operator to modify the code on the control )

The mill post I modified to output incremental code was used only for snippets of code. (And it was saved with a new name. It did not replace the original post.) The whole job was never laid out in MC. The 4-axis mill guy manually programs his jobs. Years ago he would ask me to lay out a particular contour for him. He told me where 0,0 was to be, the tool to use and if the output was to be absolute or incremental. I guess he finally decided to start using MC himself as he no longer asks me to lay out anything for him although he may occasionally have a question such as why the incremental post wouldn't output incremental anymore. He is a very intelligent man. One who took a long time to decide to use MC. LOL. I will never know a tenth of what he knows.

I could be wrong, but I get the impression that the guys who really understand MC the best have time to play with it. I don't. I also think mill guys will have a much better handle on most of its functions compared to us lathe people. Lathe uses only a small part of MasterCams options. I will never learn the mill side unless forced to get a new job. And who would hire a guy my age without that knowledge? Actually at my age they wouldn't hire me even with that knowledge.

It seems that a lot of your mastercam programs are "cut and paste" into a main program on an as required basis

I can ( sort of ) understand, the use of incremantal code in such a situation

I could be wrong, but I get the impression that the guys who really understand MC the best have time to play with it. I don't. I also think mill guys will have a much better handle on most of its functions compared to us lathe people. Lathe uses only a small part of MasterCams options.
    No. you are right. Seat time in a programming situation is a must. There is so many variations that can be played with to get a good efficient toolpath.
    Yes, the boss wants it done right, but he also wants it done in 2 Hrs, not 15

I don't understand. I showed the mill guy how to select incremental for machining letters. The NC output was incremental.
    I'll put it a different way
    Incremental or Absolute values input into the toolpath parameters page refer to depths only to the selected geometry, you can mix & match on this page ie have an absolute clearance plane, an absolute retract level, incremental top of job, and absolute depth. How you set these, controls the tool behaviour relative to the geometry that is selected ( 2D/3D, ramp, chamfer, cut conp, L/R, and all the other little nasties ).

Now go to the tool parameter page ( the operation's tool, speed, feed, planes settings) there sould be a button saying Misc Interger ( depending on your Mcam version you may have to check it before it turns on )

Your incre / abs NC code output switch for this operation should be in here

The Misc Interger area is the control room for your NC code outputs
    it controls the use of G54, abs/inc, G30/G28, plus custom switches ie chuck clamp on/off ( for heavy c-axis milling ) just to name a few. It should have set-up by the mastercam rep or post guy
    It just may happen that your incremental output is permanently turned on