587,997 active members*
2,216 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Mentors & Apprentice Locator > Midwest based young machinist looking for some advice

Midwest based young machinist looking for some advice

I recently got into machining as the economy started failing. I worked at an OEM in Wisconsin (Giddings and Lewis Machine Tools LLC) in the Large part machine shop.

Now I have about a year and a half of experience (with predominately large parts, the smallest being maybe 6 to 8' long/5,000lbs largest being 30 or 40' long and 60,000lbs).

I have been looking for a job for 6 or 7 weeks now. Yet most of the Large part machine shops want someone with more experience (Understandable) and so I've been looking into smaller machine shops (smaller sized parts). I have a possible interview at a job shop near where I live.

The root of my problem is I've never worked on any small parts other than in classes at school, and I am hoping I could find someone here to ask questions and what not on how to go about machining the smaller parts, basic programming tips that sort of thing?

If you are still around let me know...

Let me know your questions I will try and help, I've been to a few shops and have worked on many different parts over the years, through maybe not quite as big as what you were working on, my biggest was 26,000 lbs. and have made parts down to the size of a dime. Good luck
    kling8