587,215 active members*
3,656 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

posting gcode

i installed my post processor cd. i can comput the toolpath, but for some reason i cant get the g code to post. i am wondering if my post processor was installed right .or do i have another problem?
    thanks alex

If you go into the Data-Cam tree and right click on Milling Tools and choose Post & Save As can you get toolpath? If so, your NC file path needs set.

There's two ways to do this. You can right click on Milling Tools and choose Current Settings. The dialog that pops up will have 4 tabs:

Machine
    Machine Parameters
    Posting
    Comments

(There is also a fifth tab "Adv Posting" but it won't be there unless you setup scripting. Don't worry about this for now)

If you select "Machine" you will see that BobCAD already has a lot of machines preconfigured. This makes it very easy if you have multiple machines to select the proper settings for the machine that you will be using. One day it might be the Fadal, the next it may be the Haas. Chances are your machine may be already in there but for now let's just see if we can get you some code. Regardless of the machine model and make that is selected, you can change where BobCAD saves your .NC file "on the fly" here. Just go down to the area that says NC file path and hit the select button. Now choose a directory that you want BobCAD to save your file in when you hit "Post".

By default on install, this path is always C:\Program Files\BobCAD-CAM\BobCAD-CAM V23\NC\Mill\

The problem you are having usually happens on 64 bit operating systems. BobCAD doesn't install to the "normal" C:\Program Files\ folder. It is a 32 bit application so it is normally installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\

So the problem is BobCAD is trying to save to a folder that doesn't exist. You can really choose any folder you want but I like to keep my .NC files in one place so in the dialog that pops up I navigate to this folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\BobCAD-CAM\BobCAD-CAM V23\NC\Mill\

Try this and see if this works for you.

I mentioned that there is a second way to do this and it is my preferred method. BobCAD comes with a program called MillingMachineSetup.exe By running this program you can actually set your machine up if it's not there in the "Machine" tab of the Current Settings dialog. I prefer to use this because sometimes the changes you make in the Current Settings dialog don't "stick" if you don't set your machine up properly. One day you might post code and the system uses an entirely different post processor!

This little helper program is fairly intuitive to use and mostly self explanatory. There's nothing you can harm that I'm aware of by using it so feel free to play with it and know that there is nothing in there that can't be "un"done. You should close BobCAD before running this program and when you are done making changes, hit the Save button and close it out before reopening BobCAD.

If there is anything you need clarified, don't hesitate to ask here. It's been around long enough that there is a large user base with great people ready to help out.

See this thread for additional info on the MillingMachineSetup program that I didn't cover here.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87888

It sounds like one of the default paths are not set correctly yet. Does the "Post and Save As" save a file and then show the g-code?

No it does not post or save anything. I am also haveing problems with verify.When it runs the part it drags the tool from start and has a chopped up patchy look where you can see thru the block that is being machined to the text behind it. Also when i click to edit the slice planer the approach and entry keeps giving me an error that says the value for the top of part is below the maximum z value of the items selected to machine. The part i am machineing is .125 thick so now i am confused where to set the top of part height.
    thanks alex

For the "Top of part" error, try changing the top of part setting in the approach and entry area to 0.0001 Usually this is enough to fix that, assuming that the top of your part is supposed to be zero. The most I've ever had to fudge it was 0.0005 Can't answer why, I just know it (usually) fixes it.

Still can't get any code to post?

no luck so farr. i am scheduled to talk with bobcad support in the morning.
    thanks for the help

Right click in the workspace and choose "Entity Summary" and read the Z + Value. The top of part setting cant be below this value.

Sometimes when you import geometry or do something to existing geometry, the bounds data can extend beyond the original Z Location. Either translate your model down by that value and keep top of part set to 0, or set the top of part to match what is in the features selected geometry.

Can you post a file?

thanks for the help .how do i move the part around in the work space? does the part need to be on the cross hairs. i still am not posting code yet, havent figured that one out yet.
    thanks alex

THe part can be anywhere in the workspace. X, Y and Z 0 are the crosshair point. when posting code.

To move your geometry aroung, Select translate and select the geometry and choose how and where to move it.

If you post a file we can be more specific with what you are refering to.

You can also make a new ucs and the code will post from the new, active UCS.

[QUOTE=BurrMan;654587]Right click in the workspace and choose "Entity Summary" and read the Z + Value. The top of part setting cant be below this value.

Sometimes when you import geometry or do something to existing geometry, the bounds data can extend beyond the original Z Location. Either translate your model down by that value and keep top of part set to 0, or set the top of part to match what is in the features selected geometry.[/Qwhenyou

when you select edit in the milling stock window the big window comes up for stock how do i make the window smaller i am missing the ok but when i change the thickness settings .so i cant change them.
    thanks alex

increase your monitor resolution. Right click your desktop and choose properties and then settings. Slide the slider up to a higher value.

i am posting code . i did not see the post manager window so i guess i have been posting the whole time . also got the z problem fixed . now need to find out why the verify run is patchy and very slowand only cutting the part out of 5 % of the block and not the whole work piece.i also need to know how to move my work piece around in the window?

thanks everybody for the help. i should be cutting parts on my mill in a few days at this rate. i got my package in last thursday i cant belive i am almost cuuting parts. i heard a lot of bad things about this software and i dont know why! it is a great price and has great support!

thanks alex

Hi Alex,
    If you go to your start menu in windows and the BobCad V23 selection, in ther you should find the V23 Getting started videos. These can give you some good insight and a great start to get your machine running!

Good luck.

thankyou for everything man!
    alex