587,699 active members*
3,626 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Trying to figure out the right coolant to use for my situation

Hybrid View

You could try using an aquarium bubbler along with an airstone, or a network of airstones. Run the thing on a timer once a day for an hour or so. I tried this in times past, but the coolant tank on the machine was not deep enough for the air to really mix throughout the whole tank so I quit using that system and changed coolant brands instead.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by HuFlungDung View Post
    You could try using an aquarium bubbler along with an airstone, or a network of airstones. Run the thing on a timer once a day for an hour or so. I tried this in times past, but the coolant tank on the machine was not deep enough for the air to really mix throughout the whole tank so I quit using that system and changed coolant brands instead.
    Cool, thanks, I will keep that in mind and see if I can make something work. I may change coolant as well since I could use some anyways. I'll look into the stuff you are using.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Arrows don't use way oil, so a skimmer won't be necessary. I'd still go with the bubble stone idea to keep it circulated though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawbreaker38 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but Arrows don't use way oil, so a skimmer won't be necessary. I'd still go with the bubble stone idea to keep it circulated though.
    Correct, they have greased bearing carriages. Thanks for the info.

Dear Blackbolt9,

The first question I have for you is; do you own a refractometer?

If not... you may want to consider getting one. 90% of coolant instability problems are caused from a low concentration in the sump. Also remove the tramp oil from on top of the coolant before you let the coolant sit for long periods of time. When a layer of tramp oil seals off the coolant from oxygen, you can start to get an anaerobic bacteria condition that will take over the sump, and causing bad odors.

Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any additional questions.

Best regards,

Coolant Guy
    Sales Engineer

I don't have a refractometer yet. I have used one before though and will get one once I mix some coolant for the machine.

I was asking the question because I have used Blaser before (only thing I have used) and know that if left to set it would start to smell pretty bad. This machine will sit more than it runs so I was wondering what to use that would still work well but not have the problem of smelling when left to sit. Thanks for the knowledge, I will keep that in mind. Do you agree with the Hocut recommendation?

Thanks again!

I'm a little biased since I work for Blaser Swisslube; and feel our products are excellent! Which Blaser product are you using?

Best regards,

Brett Reynolds
    Sales Engineer
    Blaser Swisslube Inc.
    AKA: Coolant Guy
    Sales Engineer